Why become a member? ×

Band Website advice (from Oldgit)

OldGit

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='118694' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:54 PM']Been passing message back and forth with Si the past few days, and he's given me invaluable advice on redesigning my website, and some great marketing ideas too.

Thanks for all your help Si. Am I to pay you commission when we get that "big" gig? :huh:

If you want great advice, don't hesitate to ask him, you won't regret it.[/quote]

ha ha I'm sure I'll think of something :)
Sax solo somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought add in a little bit on passive and active content from a marketing standpoint:

In a nutshell [b]Passive[/b] content is the factual stuff and [b]Active[/b] content is someone else, with as much cred as you can muster, saying how good you are.

Passive:
The band is based in Birmingham
The band plays Mustang Sally
the band is available for weddings
Joe is the band's bass player. He has a Fender Jazz, An ashdown XP3.0 Amplifier (the one with the gold screws) and a 8x6 Schleperstein cab. He uses Ernie Ball strings and Dunlop plectrums.

Active:
"Best pub band in Birmingham" A pub gig attending fan
"They play the best Mustang Sally I've ever heard" - A Punter
"Thanks guys, you really made our reception special. Everyone thought you were fantastic and really enjoyed the dancing, We will recommend you to all of our friends" A Bride and Groom
"You were so entertaining at our Christmas do. Thanks so much" A Relieved middle manager
"bass player sounded pretty good" Emo punter on your noticeboard

For function sites you need that as short quotes all over the website and longer versions on a dedicated testimonials page. Have at least two examples of each type of function you want to get - Weddings, Birthdays, Corporate events, forces bases, etc...

For following-building bands you need stuff like that in your Myspace comments, your messageboard, your youtube comments section, etc ...
Obviously an empty messageboard is a disaster to make sure that doesn't happen on your.

Active content can also be reviews of your band, gigs, CD whatever on review sites linked back to your site or myspace.

Was that useful?
I may do some more snippets like his if you want some :)
OG

Edited by OldGit

+1 for Si's advice. I revamped our websites, concentrating on the barn dance one, using a lot of his advice (was precluded from using all of it as I didn't have the necessary material) and last week got four enquiries which have led to at least two gigs (maximum would have been three as two of them were for the same time on the same day). Still got some tweaking to do.

[quote name='tauzero' post='126532' date='Jan 23 2008, 11:19 PM']+1 for Si's advice. I revamped our websites, concentrating on the barn dance one, using a lot of his advice (was precluded from using all of it as I didn't have the necessary material) and last week got four enquiries which have led to at least two gigs (maximum would have been three as two of them were for the same time on the same day). Still got some tweaking to do.[/quote]

Glad it's workng, Tauzero
Si

• 3 weeks later...

We changed our band name and since I last looked at it the domain name/hosting market seems to have changed quite a bit.

Where are you all buying your domain names/hosting packages? Any places to avoid?

I suppose we could keep the existing hosting package (which is cheap) and just buy the new domain with forwarding. Any reason not to do that?

[quote name='spinynorman' post='138985' date='Feb 12 2008, 05:55 PM']We changed our band name and since I last looked at it the domain name/hosting market seems to have changed quite a bit.

Where are you all buying your domain names/hosting packages? Any places to avoid?

I suppose we could keep the existing hosting package (which is cheap) and just buy the new domain with forwarding. Any reason not to do that?[/quote]

You don't need forwarding.

Just ask your current host to rent/secure the new URL you want for you. Any of them can do that.
It is then associated with your webspace.

"Forwarding" is a technical term for when you have a pretend website and visitors get forwarded to your real space (under a different URL - usually a freespace bit) that process stops Google dead in its little robotic tracks and therefore should not be done. (unless you don't want anyone to find your site - say if it is purely for agents customers to use)

OK?

Cheers
OG

Yes, that's OK, thanks. I understand the Google thing.

I'd still be interested in which hosting service providers people have had good experience with, as ours is cheap, but the support is built to match. Like I imagine getting them to buy me a new URL without losing the package and space we currently have will take a while on hold, followed by a series of "I''ll just put you through to someone who can't help you either."

[quote name='spinynorman' post='139126' date='Feb 12 2008, 10:12 PM']Yes, that's OK, thanks. I understand the Google thing.

I'd still be interested in which hosting service providers people have had good experience with, as ours is cheap, but the support is built to match. Like I imagine getting them to buy me a new URL without losing the package and space we currently have will take a while on hold, followed by a series of "I''ll just put you through to someone who can't help you either."[/quote]

I use
[url="http://www.uk2.net/"]http://www.uk2.net/[/url]
.. not the cheapest but they have hosted our site for years with no problems.

If you are starting a new site with a new URL then you can get the space from the same company that registers your new URL for you.
Then you should be able to avoid any transfer delays and frustrations. (quite common)
You can just copy the old site files from the old space to your computer (and to a CD for safe keeping :) ) and then load them up to the new space when it's ready. That way you have no need to do any kind of linking to the old space and you can just abandon it and build yoru new site in the new space. Space is cheap so it shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='OldGit' post='139216' date='Feb 13 2008, 12:53 AM']I use
[url="http://www.uk2.net/"]http://www.uk2.net/[/url]
.. not the cheapest but they have hosted our site for years with no problems.

If you are starting a new site with a new URL then you can get the space from the same company that registers your new URL for you.
Then you should be able to avoid any transfer delays and frustrations. (quite common)
You can just copy the old site files from the old space to your computer (and to a CD for safe keeping :) ) and then load them up to the new space when it's ready. That way you have no need to do any kind of linking to the old space and you can just abandon it and build yoru new site in the new space. Space is cheap so it shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]

If you want a response from the forum you'll probably need to post a seperate question as this thread's been running for ages and people tend not to notice it :huh:

Hot topic: Setting your band image with your home page picture..

Choose your Home Page picture well ...
Here's a band that bills itself as playing Alt Rock (and other stuff)

No really, they do! Check out their website
[url="http://www.destin-ation.com/band/"]http://www.destin-ation.com/band/[/url]

and so do these guys:

[url="http://www.yearlongdisaster.com"]http://www.yearlongdisaster.com[/url]

You see what I mean?

Your home page picture says a huge amount about your band and will draw in people who like the way you look and filter out
anyone not interested in a band that looks like you

Edited by OldGit

Hot Topic .. The other thing to do with images ...

Images and Alt text
Any image on your site should have alt text. There are three reasons for this.
1) People do look at sites with the images off. This is especially true of people surfing the web using a phone (it used to say "modem" but no one knows what that is any more ... ) If you have Alt text they can see it even when they can't see the image.
2) Disabilities Discrimination legislation says your site should make sense to disabled people. In this case it means that people using, say, a screen reader will still be able to use your site. When the screen reader gets to the image instead of reading out the rather useless "image" it will read your alt text. Thus the site visitor will know what that image is and if it's relevant or important.

3)Google reads that alt text! and it counts towards your ranking. :) Cool or what?

If you have no alt text, it just says "image" and that's no use whatsoever.

So, Google's going to read it so [b]put some key words in the alt text [/b]eg:

Dan Veall playing his Shuker custom 7 string purple bass at Bootiful's club Norwich with his jazz rock folk band Veall and the Small Calf Cases

Result? Your key word score increases.
How many images do you have on your site? Not just the pictures of you and your mates but headers, page tiles, bullets, any kind of graphic can have alt text ...

Don't overdo it, though. One or two key words per image (as well as the info text)
It also helps when people do a google image search - another way into your site.

Edited by OldGit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps,

This thread makes for some very interesting reading.

My band have just made a little website - link in my sig - Still waiting on some content but I really like the look of it. What do you think?

[quote name='ped' post='151137' date='Mar 4 2008, 04:26 PM']Hi chaps,

This thread makes for some very interesting reading.

My band have just made a little website - link in my sig - Still waiting on some content but I really like the look of it. What do you think?[/quote]

Hi Ped
Do you wat it here in public or PM'd?

And
The free site check rules are:
1 - I need to know you band's objectives and your website objectives before I do it 'cos it makes a huge difference
2 - I need to know your market
3 - I need to win the bass bash raffle
:)

OG

Hi Git,

Just some feedback on the design and looks etc really - the website doesn't really have any objective other than a bit of fun, like our music. I like it that way - and when that leads to money and jobs, you can be extra happy about it!

It might have been the wrong place to post this in hindsight, as I am not after the usual great advice RE rankings and so forth. Public is fine ;0)

Cheers matey
ped

[quote name='ped' post='151228' date='Mar 4 2008, 06:42 PM']Hi Git,

Just some feedback on the design and looks etc really - the website doesn't really have any objective other than a bit of fun, like our music. I like it that way - and when that leads to money and jobs, you can be extra happy about it!

It might have been the wrong place to post this in hindsight, as I am not after the usual great advice RE rankings and so forth. Public is fine ;0)

Cheers matey
ped[/quote]

PM'd

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='phatmonkey' post='262088' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:07 AM']Top, top advice there OG. There's probably a bunch of stuff there we could do with basschat! You might find this interesting:

[url="http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9748779-7.html"]http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9748779-7.html[/url]

In particular this:

"Query strings" are when you have a question mark after the file and a bunch of =s and &s, like we do on here. Turns out it doesn't affect our rankings in general, which is a relief. I'm sick of our crummy URLs though, hopefully Invision will fix it in the next version.[/quote]

Sorry, I missed this addition to the thread.

Yup, that's right. If there's a ? in the URL the web designer generally needs to be pointed at the "google friendly urls' bit on the Google Webmaster site.
There are ways round it as the BC site shows - Google clearly picks up stuff on here, but in general it's better to have urls with key words rather than long parm strings.
[b]How[/b] to do it is way to tekkie for me but it's a thing to ask for if paying someone to build a site for you.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='321860' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:16 PM']How do you feel about having a "testimonials" section on a website? Personally, whenever I go to a band's website and see a quote from the landlord of their local music venue, gushing about how wonderful the band are, it makes me want to throw up a little. Is it just me?

S.P.[/quote]

The effectiveness of testimonials depends on what they say, who said it and who the band is trying to impress.

However for bands looking to sell their services into the function / wedding / corporporate gig sector they are by far the best way of making the next gig booker think you are worth considering. Check any top function band website and they will be peppered with good reports of gigs they have done from people you could probably phone up and ask, with a little research.

Likewise wedding gigs. A wedding band website should teem with brides, grooms and mothers in law saying how great you were. Then a B&G looking for a band are more likely to believe the rest of the stuff on your website.

Basically is matters not one jot how good [b]YOU[/b] say you are on your website but the opinion of "Janet and John, Bride and Groom, August 2008" really matters and will bring in the bookings.

Your pub landlord testimonial is not aimed at getting you to a gig as a punter, puking or not, it's aimed at other venue bookers who will probably know that pub and its gig booker and their quality control policy, the type of band they hire and how successful the venue is ...
If you've rammed the the top venue in your town on a regular basis, and teh landlord says so in an endorsement, that means a great deal, to another pub gig booker.

For building a following, your best bet is [b]punters[/b] saying what a great time they had at your gig - say via your myspace comments section, youtube films and comments, chat rooms, facebook stuff etc...

Different market, same technique used differently ...