Why become a member? ×

Aguilar GS 410 &...?

NJW

So far I have most definitely been enjoying my GS 410 with my SVT. The only problem is as follows however. The cab is 8 ohm, and the heads output is 4 ohm. Not only would I like to pair it with another cab, but I'd also like to raise the 10's up off the floor a little closer to my chest height since im a bassmaniac and like to blow my own head off whilst playing live.

My two options seem to be...

Another 8 ohm GS 410. This will give me 8x10 of Aguilar goodness at 4ohm. I can't really see any problems with this set up except for the size and WEIGHT of the lot.

or...

a GS 212. If I was to add an 8 ohm 2x12 to the 4x10 (by linking cabs, not using a seperate speaker output) how would the power distribution work out? Would it be even? And how do you think the 12s would sound with the 4x10? Is this a silly idea? Should I just get another 4x10 and be done with it? I find the size, weight and price of the GS 212 appealing.

Thanks for your input,

Nico

If you really don't want to go the 810 route then I'd suggest a 210 to sit on your 410.

Mixing drivers is fine if the result sounds good. Alex at Barefaced, TC, Mesa Boogie and many players have successfully mixed speaker sizes.

Edited by chris_b

Hmm I wish I had a way of trying the two options out. I'm guessing then by the sounds of it then that if I wire the cabs up in series then I won't have issues with the 10's and 12's getting different amounts of power per cab?

[quote name='NJW' post='1273379' date='Jun 18 2011, 12:57 AM']Hmm I wish I had a way of trying the two options out. I'm guessing then by the sounds of it then that if I wire the cabs up in series then I won't have issues with the 10's and 12's getting different amounts of power per cab?[/quote]

If both cabs are 8 ohms then the power split is equal.

The bias of the 12's might make it sound as though more bass is coming from them but I'd have no worries running
2x410's, or 212/410 maybe even a 210...but I probably wouldn't do the latter as one cab would be half the pwoer handing of the other...
It wouldn't be my ideal..but then again..to make nonsense of my statement.. I probably would run 212/210, so..??

If the amp produces 300w into 4 or even 500w..you still should have 350w from a 210..but GS210 are hard to come by in this country, I think..!!

If you don't mind lugging round 2 large cabs...then a 2x410 will be thunderrous as well..
I had to decide on a 115 over 210 as a partner for another 210..and I went with 2x210..and that was a great choice.
I didn't miss the 115 at all..if fact, I suspect it would have been too bass heavy.

Ball park spec

GS212 600watts
GS410 700watts
GS210 350watts....if you can source one