Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Model 220 and 402

mattwood

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post so sorry if it is a bit long winded.

I have recently inherited an Acoustic Model 220 amp head and matching 402 2x15" speaker cab that I know little about. So far all the info I have I found here: [url="http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/AcousticProducts"]http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/vie...cousticProducts[/url]

The amp will be going up for sale soon, but I would like to know anything more about the amp and cab that the above link doesn't cover that someone else might know. Unfortunately, I am not a bassist and the amp is too big for my situation at home - otherwise I'd keep it.

Also, as I have no idea what it's all worth any insight into a good asking price would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

[quote name='mattwood' post='1268482' date='Jun 14 2011, 12:03 PM']Hi all,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post so sorry if it is a bit long winded.

I have recently inherited an Acoustic Model 220 amp head and matching 402 2x15" speaker cab that I know little about. So far all the info I have I found here: [url="http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/view/Acoustic/AcousticProducts"]http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/bin/vie...cousticProducts[/url]

The amp will be going up for sale soon, but I would like to know anything more about the amp and cab that the above link doesn't cover that someone else might know. Unfortunately, I am not a bassist and the amp is too big for my situation at home - otherwise I'd keep it.

Also, as I have no idea what it's all worth any insight into a good asking price would be most appreciated.
Many Thanks[/quote]

Use the above link and then click on the further link to the "Forum". Go from there. Those guys know pretty much all there is to know. As for the UK, "Bumnote" and friends will be along shortly.

Balcro.

Thanks mate - I tried asking on the forum and got told to read the products page for specs etc, which I have done already.

As I'm only 21, and this kit is way before my time, anything anyone can contribute would be helpful - but really its all so I can put a reasonably well-informed advert together to sell it on.

Thanks again.

Wonderfull stuff If you imagine Acoustic being the Mercedes of the day, and the 220 and 402 being mid range models. The 220 is about 120watt, unless its one of the really last ones which I beleive were about 170. Still giggable today.

Wonderfully robust, most parts available still, the only problem with the amp is when the Graphic fails as parts are hard/almost impossible to get. I have had two of these beasts.
Never had a 402, but I still have my second 406, which is another 2x15 but a different design.

As far as selling goes, it depends how lucky you are. The drawback to them is there are smaller and lighter amps and cabs around, and its only old farts like me, who remember them as the best amp around in the 70s/80s who still remember them with affection, but they are a pain to transport.

I have seen a 220 go for on ebay for peanuts, or up to £225/£250 depending on condition. The cab not so much. Depends on condition, does it still have the original white domed speakers?

I use a phil jones these days, having sold most of my little collection, although I think I might take my 370 and 406 out tomorrow and give em a blast. Although I will struggle a bit wih the size, the sound will be sublime. [And should be heard in the next town]

If you want to know anything specific, just ask.

Welcome to the worlds best bass amp owners club!

I have the same 220/402 rig and it does sound brilliant with almost any bass (but especially a Fender P)

The 220 is rated at 125w into 4 ohms or 170 into 2 ohms, though the later ones were rated a bit higher I believe. They do sound brilliant, but are probably not as versatile as modern amps and are quite a bit bulkier and heavier! I bought my 220 new in 1980 and have only just retired it from gigging, it's never broken except for blowing a fuse once after it had been stored in a garage for a couple of months.

If you do sell, there will no doubt be a few takers on here....

Out of interest Oli, did you get that 120 working yet?

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1269424' date='Jun 14 2011, 11:23 PM']Welcome to the worlds best bass amp owners club!

I have the same 220/402 rig and it does sound brilliant with almost any bass (but especially a Fender P)

The 220 is rated at 125w into 4 ohms or 170 into 2 ohms, though the later ones were rated a bit higher I believe. They do sound brilliant, but are probably not as versatile as modern amps and are quite a bit bulkier and heavier! I bought my 220 new in 1980 and have only just retired it from gigging, it's never broken except for blowing a fuse once after it had been stored in a garage for a couple of months.

If you do sell, there will no doubt be a few takers on here....

Out of interest Oli, did you get that 120 working yet?[/quote]

Not done anything with it. Dunno much about SS stuff with PCBs, and the tech I had lined up for the work has gone AWOL.

Thanks for all you input so far guys!

From the above; I have concluded the head to be the 120/125W version. Still unsure on its actual age but will be giving it a damn good clean tonight and will post any details I can deduce from the amp itself.

As far as I know, the cab does indeed have the original white-doned speakers.

A big part of me would like to keep it, but it is for sale in the Amps and Cabs section of the Sale forum on this site due to me just not having the space for it moore than anything else.

I will also post some pictures up later :)

Thanks again

• 10 years later...

I own a model 220, I picked it up at St. Vinny's for $39.99! I also picked up a model 106 2x15 cab that matches it perfect. Wow what a bottom ends this guy has and it shakes my entire house! I have an it sure with my on/off switch and I've been having to use the pop out fuse for the on/off duties. How would I fix that?