Why become a member? ×

Rack bag or hard case?

Jamesemt

I'm trying to decide between getting a rackbag, or getting a hard case. I don't gig (yet...) so will just be for rehearsal.

Obviously the hard case will look after the equipment a bit better - but its not like it will be thrown in the back of a van, so does it matter?

FWIW I'm looking at an LD Systems bag or a Gator shallow case both in a 6u size.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='145960' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:41 PM']I'm trying to decide between getting a rackbag, or getting a hard case. I don't gig (yet...) so will just be for rehearsal.

Obviously the hard case will look after the equipment a bit better - but its not like it will be thrown in the back of a van, so does it matter?

FWIW I'm looking at an LD Systems bag or a Gator shallow case both in a 6u size.[/quote]
Good question!

I used to have a hard case for my Hartke HA3500 and it looked after it really well, but it became a bit of a pain to lug around to be honest.. So, I sold the hardcase on and I now have a rackbag for my GK 700RB and I'm pretty happy with it.. I do a lot of gigs but carry my own gear around, so I make sure it doesn't get thrown around.

A 6U hard case full of gear will get very heavy, but if you're touring, then it'd be worth it. Otherwise, you'll probably be fine with the rackbag..

[quote name='ste_m3' post='146264' date='Feb 24 2008, 10:56 PM']I'd agree with the above, however i think with it being 6u it'll not make much difference, its gonna be a big heavy bugger either way![/quote]

Not that heavy!! Superfly is 2u, wireless takes up 1u, Behringer V Amp pro takes up 2u, leaving 1u for a tuner (I'm going to put the wireless above the superfly, so it will get plenty of ventilation.)

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='145960' date='Feb 24 2008, 12:41 PM']I'm trying to decide between getting a rackbag, or getting a hard case. I don't gig (yet...) so will just be for rehearsal.

FWIW I'm looking at an LD Systems bag or a Gator shallow case both in a 6u size.[/quote]

rack bags are a lil easier to lug around and they do protect your stuff well, however be careful with the zips! i've just completely knackered mine so i either take the zip off and sew on a new one (yeah cuz i'm great at sewing...) or buy a new rack bag! then again i've seen enough hard rack cases that have the doors hanging off cuz the catches have broken...

[quote name='kingforaday' post='146505' date='Feb 25 2008, 12:36 PM']rack bags are a lil easier to lug around and they do protect your stuff well, however be careful with the zips! i've just completely knackered mine so i either take the zip off and sew on a new one (yeah cuz i'm great at sewing...) or buy a new rack bag! then again i've seen enough hard rack cases that have the doors hanging off cuz the catches have broken...[/quote]

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try a rack bag and see how I get on :)