Why become a member? ×

GAS Complaint

tonybassplayer

I feel I have to register a complaint to the fine ladies and gentleman of this website forum.

Until I recently joined I was more than happy with my Yamaha TRB that had been my main bass ( just have a cheap 5 string spare for gigs ) for over 6 years. I also have a Fender USA Strat that has sat happily virtually unused in my wardrobe for the last twelve years and as a little family we were happy.

UNTIL NOW !!!

I now spend half my life on this forum and the other on Ebay looking for bargain Precision's, Jazz's, Geddy Lee's, uprated pickup's, SX's ( never even heard of them three months ago )

The Strat ends tonight on Ebay ( currently £331 but more would good ) to try to feed this GAS frenzy

Where will it all end ?? Not sure but one thing it has done has rejuvenated my playing and enthusiasm for improving as a player.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Tony

lol

Maybe rationalise your collection to what you can justify, don't start collecting, and don't get emotionally attached to your instruments? :) TRB's are good basses, well respected and excellent value second hand.

I'm currently battling guitar GAS. Have a custom strat I've recently installed EMGs in and have an el cheapo Mesia 60w valve combo that is currently having all the worn out capacitors replaced. With the MPXG2 I have, I can get some searingly crunchy and some creamily funky tones out of it. Just need to get the body refinished, the neck stripped back to oiled maple and "The Prince" switch installed so I can have the neck and bridge pickups only...

...help.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='145880' date='Feb 24 2008, 09:58 AM']I feel I have to register a complaint to the fine ladies and gentleman of this website forum.

Until I recently joined I was more than happy with my Yamaha TRB that had been my main bass ( just have a cheap 5 string spare for gigs ) for over 6 years. I also have a Fender USA Strat that has sat happily virtually unused in my wardrobe for the last twelve years and as a little family we were happy.

UNTIL NOW !!!

I now spend half my life on this forum and the other on Ebay looking for bargain Precision's, Jazz's, Geddy Lee's, uprated pickup's, SX's ( never even heard of them three months ago )

The Strat ends tonight on Ebay ( currently £331 but more would good ) to try to feed this GAS frenzy

Where will it all end ?? Not sure but one thing it has done has rejuvenated my playing and enthusiasm for improving as a player.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Tony[/quote]

Welcome to the collective Tony - you have been assimilated! :)

Good luck with the Ebay auction....

Tell me about it! I'm a reformed GASoholic. This forum did not help one bit!

I think the only way to cure GAS is to release it. I went out and bought the basses I wanted... and kept the ones I loved.

My logic now is that I am very happy with my collection. If I were to want to spend money on another bass, I know I don't really need more basses and that the money would be better spent on private tuition, which I do.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='146972' date='Feb 25 2008, 10:53 PM']I've come to the point where anything I buy has to make me money and so therefore has to have a specific job to do. But then I am picking up my second new Status bass in three months within a week or so!

Hmmm... The theory is failing already![/quote]

After various musical friends and acquaintances started dying at ages not too far ahead of mine I decided to work on the theory that life's too damn' short to play an instrument that isn't the best you can get ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='146986' date='Feb 25 2008, 11:07 PM']After various musical friends and acquaintances started dying at ages not too far ahead of mine I decided to work on the theory that life's too damn' short to play an instrument that isn't the best you can get ....[/quote]
I'm 28 but could die tomorrow; so I'm with OldGit on this one!
Although all my basses are pretty cheapy, I have got 10 of them. I bought 2 basses in December, and I've just ordered a Japanese Jazz from guitaremporium!

The GAS will never end, so I must prepare myself for it by hammering the overtime at work.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='145880' date='Feb 24 2008, 09:58 AM']I feel I have to register a complaint to the fine ladies and gentleman of this website forum.

UNTIL NOW !!!

Keep up the good work

Regards

Tony[/quote]

So it's not just me, then? My GAS has started up with the purchase of a Line 6 Bass POD XT Live. My wife's ever so pleased... Might have to sell the Pacifica now! (If my 14-year old daughter will let me as it's 1/2 hers.)

I know the feeling. I've not been hear long, nor have I been playing for long, but I'm defo developing GAS...every now and again I look at my Jazz Bass and think it looks lonely, maybe it needs a new amp to keep it company, or perhaps a pedal or two, or maybe I want to fit some new pick-ups in it, or maybe a nice new case, I then have a cheeky look on ebay or though my John Entwistle Bass Collection book and think, "ahh no, it needs a friend" I mean, you'd never just buy one goldfish would you? That'd be cruel! :) :huh:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='146972' date='Feb 25 2008, 10:53 PM']I've come to the point where anything I buy has to make me money and so therefore has to have a specific job to do. But then I am picking up my second new Status bass in three months within a week or so![/quote]
I have the same mindset. The Hohner Jack Custom I've just bought is entirely consistent with that, as I wanted a headless 5-string for the microstage venues we sometimes play. Next gig is at one of these venues, last gig was too (which started me getting more earnest about my quest), and we've got at least another two this year.

Mind you, it would be nice if I had a headless 5-string with a neck with a profile like the Tsai. Trouble is, they don't come off the peg that way. Come to think of it, it would be convenient if it was a double-neck too...