Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD: Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-V - HELP NEEDED

dc2009

I sold my pro-iv to mark (ahpook) to cover as much of the cost of this as I could. She arrived at 9am sharp today, and from 10 minutes playing, it is evident she is just plain lovely.
It's used, bought from a guitar shop's ebay store, however, it looks mint, there is not a ding or mark I can find on it, only wear seems to be the fade of the pickup lettering. It's a newer model with the neck strap button in the proper place, and it doesn't neck dive one bit, balances beautifully!

Got a maths exam at 2, but will give it a proper run through and get some pics up when I return this evening!

Dan

Edited by dc2009

So I've just plugged her in for the first time, and I'm in for a bit of a shock. Tone wise she sounds fine and she plays beautifully too, but I have a serious volume issue. The E string is noticeably louder than any of the other strings, (I think a bit bassier too but volume is the issue), I'd also argue the three high strings are marginally louder than the low B, but that's insignificant next to the E issue.

To check I wasn't hearing things I ran the bass and amp EQ completely flat, turned off the sansamp, and still the same problem.
To absolutely eliminate anything, I took the sansamp out of the chain, turned the amp eq and pre-amp sections both off, and then used the blend control to check each pickup. At both pickups the E was equally loud, and the other strings were equally quiet. Anyone know what this issue is?

Thanks,
Dan

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1261773' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:29 PM']Sounds weird - My Pro-V sounds pretty even across all strings with TI Flats. Do the strings match? perhaps the E has been replaced with one of a different type?[/quote]

What a great call, I've just glanced to my left, and noted the E string has red silk over the ends where all the others are plain. I assume that makes it a rotosound jobby.

Is there any way that I can find out what strings are on it? IMO I really liked the feel of the other strings, no idea what they are! And also don't want to restring it needlessly.

I never knew oddly mixed strings made such a difference, is there a decent scientific explanation for it/way to make sure it doesn't happen (asides always playing with the same strings and having those as your backups too) - which I don't want to do because I've yet to settle on my favourite strings, or even try all of them that are out there!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1261773' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:29 PM']Sounds weird - My Pro-V sounds pretty even across all strings with TI Flats. Do the strings match? perhaps the E has been replaced with one of a different type?[/quote]

How does the Pro sound with the TIs?

I absolutely love the Roto flats on my Goth

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1261815' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:48 PM']If its the factory originals then they're likely to be [url="http://www.juststrings.com/epi-e-60m5.html"]Epiphone strings[/url]

funnily enough the string thickness was something I had thought about as well.[/quote]

It's second hand, but I don't think by much. As I said in the OP, the thing is in mint condition, I would imagine someone broke the E and that got replaced, which seems likely?

If it's those Epi strings, then that could be it, as I've never played nickels before, and they did feel 'soft' on my fingers. I've always played stainless steel, useless rotosound or warwick rounds, with the one set of DR coateds on my warwick and some steve harris flats on my MM copy, but I may have to look into nickel strings, what do you guys think of these in general?
Also what do you think of the best strings for a TB, seeing as some of you have had them for a long time?

The Pro series bridges are a bit of an upgrade on the regular, flimsy affairs, probably wouldn't be necessary to undertake a hipshot upgrade for mine, I hope.

I've never had one of the Pros but the best rounds I've used on mine are the cheapy Hartke ones, the best coated ones were the DR Red Devils but nothing can touch the Roto flats. I've had those on for 6 months so far.

I did use EB Slinkies for years on various Stingrays and Fenders and liked those.

Oh and if you ever fancy getting rid of those Steve Harris flats then give me a shout. I've always wanted to try them but don't really want to buy them and find out they're too high tension

Edited by Delberthot