Why become a member? ×

Squier CV Jazz

Jigster

If it was bought new in March this year you should get it fixed under warranty. If you fix it yourself and it is just, say, a broken solder joint on the jack socket, if something worse happens to the electronics in the near future, such as a pickup dieing, you might find they're reluctant to fix it as it has been 'tampered with'.

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1257027' date='Jun 5 2011, 01:08 AM']+1
I`m betting the positive on the jack socket.
Has the socket been loose at all?[/quote]

yes it has been loose -

I'm just going to take it back, second trip with this as a tuning peg fell off last month, which was replaced, but..you know!

Electronics on the bass are as simple as they get.
If you can solder... I'd save the hassle and check it myself. On a Jazz, with the easily removed control plate (3 screws!) it'll take all of 5 min. The pickups are *very* unlikely to fail unless you physically damage them while removing them or something. My bet is a loose wire too. And if you said the output socket had been loose... chances are that while twisting the nut from the outside only you were twisting the cables inside and one snapped. Under 5min repair :)

I would only bother with warranties if a pickup does not work (but they do, and I still have to see a pickup just dying on me, after *many* years tinkering), or a real problem is found: truss rod defective, cracks on fingerboard, etc.

If you can't solder but plan to be around electric instruments... I recommend you learn. It will save you a LOT of hassle in the future. And cash.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1257242' date='Jun 5 2011, 12:14 PM']Electronics on the bass are as simple as they get.
If you can solder... I'd save the hassle and check it myself. On a Jazz, with the easily removed control plate (3 screws!) it'll take all of 5 min. The pickups are *very* unlikely to fail unless you physically damage them while removing them or something. My bet is a loose wire too. And if you said the output socket had been loose... chances are that while twisting the nut from the outside only you were twisting the cables inside and one snapped. Under 5min repair :)

I would only bother with warranties if a pickup does not work (but they do, and I still have to see a pickup just dying on me, after *many* years tinkering), or a real problem is found: truss rod defective, cracks on fingerboard, etc.

If you can't solder but plan to be around electric instruments... I recommend you learn. It will save you a LOT of hassle in the future. And cash.[/quote]

Not that odd with fenders in my experience had neck pickup fail on a new usa strat one week into owning it no output at all when tested replace under warranty

[quote name='mcnach' post='1257242' date='Jun 5 2011, 12:14 PM']Electronics on the bass are as simple as they get.
If you can solder... I'd save the hassle and check it myself. ...[/quote]

True, and I'm sure this problem will be very easy to fix. But then there's this:

[quote name='henry norton' post='1257105' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:50 AM']...If you fix it yourself and ... if something worse happens to the electronics in the near future, such as a pickup dieing, you might find they're reluctant to fix it as it has been 'tampered with'.[/quote]

If you solder anything then you'll void the guarantee and I'd bet some (many?) dealers would use that as an excuse to avoid honouring any warranty commitments if you have any other problems.

[quote name='mart' post='1257519' date='Jun 5 2011, 05:41 PM']If you solder anything then you'll void the guarantee and I'd bet some (many?) dealers would use that as an excuse to avoid honouring any warranty commitments if you have any other problems.[/quote]

True, but if you do the job neatly enough and don't mention the fact you did resolder a connection then there's no way anyone is going to know you did it. :)

[quote name='Jigster' post='1257551' date='Jun 5 2011, 06:16 PM']yes mart - decided I'm going to leave it anyway and just take it back[/quote]

Take it back. You have already paid for the warranty in the purchase price. You are entitled to use it, surely. Manufacturers take notice of warranty claims, you could help improve things in future.

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='Jigster' post='1257780' date='Jun 5 2011, 08:55 PM']seen my soldering? :)

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49793253@N07/sets/72157626892509872/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/49793253@N07/...57626892509872/[/url][/quote]

Ah.

Taking it back is looking like quite an attractive option... :)

I would at least open it up and see if it is just a loose wire.

I know it will be fixed under warranty but IMO if it involves a couple of trips in the car, maybe a few days for them to fix it i would attempt it myself.

Off topic but I posted in another thread how i took my CV jazz to a gig by mistake as it was in the wrong gig bag. Both pups were un wired and there were not strap buttons on it. I ended up using Gaffa tape to re wire the bass lol. It worked fine though.

[quote name='kjm' post='1257283' date='Jun 5 2011, 01:11 PM']Not that odd with fenders in my experience had neck pickup fail on a new usa strat one week into owning it no output at all when tested replace under warranty[/quote]

1) was the actual pickup at fault? i.e: bobbin wire broke by itself?

2) hardly a statistically significant sample :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1258544' date='Jun 6 2011, 04:27 PM']1) was the actual pickup at fault? i.e: bobbin wire broke by itself?

2) hardly a statistically significant sample :)[/quote]

And yes utterly knackered, also many examples of pots not working at all wiring sound, all returned to fender under warranty there QC is suspect and the pickup was tested no output at all.

[quote name='Jigster' post='1262804' date='Jun 9 2011, 03:25 PM']sorted - wire to jack plug had come loose

Took it to local guitar tech - he did it in five minutes FOC[/quote]

Excellent :)

Sounds like you've found a good guitar tech there as well.