Why become a member? ×

Really don't know what to do. Advice Guys?

skhatru

Hi,

Not gigged for about 10 years. Last gig was when function band dissolved. Sold my Peavey rig, which was getting on my nerves humphing it around anyway, and got a Bass POD. Was involved in a recording project for years. so it was ideal forme. Upgraded recently to a Bass POD XT Live, and got myself a band I really like. The band gig a fair bit however. Some venues provide a backline for bass, and some don't. Some (most) have facility for DI into the front of house desk and some dont. Here's my problem.

Do I invest in an amp (ampeg, GK, Hartke etc) or get a slave and a couple of speakers???? I really don't want to be lugging around a big rig, or heavy combo, hence the POD, and mucking around with effects send/return (which I know heehaw about) to avoid colouring my sound, as I have a lovely GK sound I like, so, is it practical to get a 500w slave and a couple of full range speakers?? POD XT Live when goin into line equipment wants one output from "amp model" (processed) and one from DI (unprocessed) so slave has 2 inputs, 1 to each? Cheaper than a big rig too.

Practical? Impractical? I honestly don't know, hence throwing it open for advice, pointers, constructive and other types of criticism lol.

Thx

Dougie

If you're playing venues that you can't garuantee will have a backline bass amp or a PA that can support the bass (including monitors) then you [b]need[/b] a bass amp.

Depending on your budget, if you like the GK tone, get a GK. If you can't afford a GK then you'll have to settle for what you can for on-stage monitoring then use your POD to get the sound you want out front (assuming the bass is going through the PA).

Unless you have your own soundman/woman at all gigs that will DI you happily at all gigs I would advise to invest in some kind of bass amp, even if it is purely for on stage monitoring purposes. From experience I have found that some soundpersons are totally opposed to DIing and sending bass back through a monitor. Also some PA systems in venues are really only much good for vocals, or there are there are no monitors available for bass.

You probably have more of an idea than me when it comes to using slaves and a couple of speakers. I would think for convenience a half-decent combo would be easier to lug around, and it is easy to find lightweight stuff nowadays.

Edited by thodrik

+1 to those above.
Get yourself a small combo. There's many that are perfect for gigging & the days of having to humph a huge heavy stack around are no more (some folk still do, but I think that is by choice/funds).

Have a look at some kit from Genz Benz, Gallien Krueger, Mark Bass, T C Electronic & some of the "lightweight gear" topics on here.

Sounds like a decent bass monitor is required for mainly stage use and some out front gigs.

I'll look at a Markbass 102 combo...very portable and versatile...you can add another etn cab to get 500w..if you should ever need such a thing.
Not sure about whether it has your GK thing so you could consider a GK combo but
I couldn't vouch for it..IME

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1256332' date='Jun 4 2011, 11:36 AM']If you have a POD and you dig the sound, get that Peavy IPR that umph is selling, and a Barefaced cab to suit your needs. Light weight endgame rig. Sorted.[/quote]
My rig exactly! (well almost, slightly different pre-amp)