Why become a member? ×

Treble Clef

[quote name='davey_one_visits' post='1254022' date='Jun 2 2011, 02:27 PM']Quick question to the professionals out there....

How often do you have to deal with a treble clef?

Is it worth spending time learning it?

So far I've seen ledger lines and 8va signs for the higher notes but I haven't seen a grand stave used.

Cheers

Dave[/quote]

It looks like you are putting in the time learning to sight read - always worth going the extra yard for the TC.
Music is not just about Bass. Reading the TC opens access to various higher register instruments, seeing how they approach melody,
Harmony and solos etc, which at the end of the day all helps to make you a more rounded Musician.

Garry

[quote name='ras52' post='1254197' date='Jun 2 2011, 04:24 PM']Burn the heretic! :)[/quote]

[i]"Behold the power of the [linux]-heretic!
Who can stand against it? It shall ride roughshod over its enemies like a searing
tidal wave of righteous flame!"[/i]

Something like that anyway.
:)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Whilst it's by no means essential, when having Real Booked based jams, you just get the chords and the treble clef melody (unless it's got a specific bassline). Whilst you can happily play over the chords without reading the melody, I find knowing what I'm playing over better means I can contribute more solidly, although for me this is a case of looking at it at home as I can't sight read it.

Should probably mention I'm not by any means pro :)

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='lowdown' post='1254190' date='Jun 2 2011, 04:17 PM']It looks like you are putting in the time learning to sight read - always worth going the extra yard for the TC.
Music is not just about Bass. Reading the TC opens access to various higher register instruments, seeing how they approach melody,
Harmony and solos etc, which at the end of the day all helps to make you a more rounded Musician.

Garry[/quote]

Thanks Gary, sounds like good advice. I wanted to learn as much as possible but at the same time I didn't want to waste my precious practise time.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1254444' date='Jun 2 2011, 07:15 PM']Whilst it's by no means essential, when having Real Booked based jams, you just get the chords and the treble clef melody (unless it's got a specific bassline). Whilst you can happily play over the chords without reading the melody, I find knowing what I'm playing over better means I can contribute more solidly, although for me this is a case of looking at it at home as I can't sight read it.

Should probably mention I'm not by any means pro :)[/quote]

Cheers zmech, I've been practising with real books a lot recently too. I was looking more at the chords but maybe I'll start to take note of the melody also.

I play trumpet too so im fluent in bass and treble clef. It really helps if you're reading leadsheets since most are in treble clef (already been said i think) and i use it for transcribing anything in the upper register, such as solos, chordal passages etc. (John Patitucci does the same thing), mainly because with the number of ledger lines at the very top end, the manuscript can get really congested and hard to read