Why become a member? ×

Kent Armstrong

stoker

often wondered why kent armstrong (or anyone else for that matter) doesn't do a bass version of the motherbucker. you could have so much fun with all the different wiring options! i mean i've got a few ideas myself that i wouldn't mind trying out.

They might well make some up for you..or give you some ideas of options.

But if you are going for POWER in a pickup, I frankly think this is the worse thing you can do.
I have played around with quite a few winds at Kent's workshop when it was local and a balls to the floor wind
is a huge let-down. So much bass/power it chokes the character and life out of the sound, IMO/IME.

It is so much easier to add bass if required than to get rid of unwanted bass... I start from the former.
I have some great KA pickups on a bass, but learnt from his lessons winding for Smith that a thicker gauge
and less winds gives a more pleasing sound..so IIUI, I'd be careful what you wish for.

just my 2p.....

Have you seen/heard what Martin Sims does with his Multi pickup.
I am not sure what it is called but it sounds great and you get all the classic sounds
from the pickup block as the sound is picked-up from the right position on the bass.

Sounds great..but too many options for me..and therefore very confusing what sound is what and where on the selector
switches. But it does sound the BIZ..IMO.

Edited by JTUK

The Sims pickup is called the Super 8. It's not that difficult. Think of it as two pickups each one having the ability to be a P, J or MM.

Unfortunately at the moment the only way to get them is to buy an [url="http://www.enfieldguitars.com/"]Enfield bass.[/url]