Why become a member? ×

Good allrounder Multi FX Bass pedal wanted. Suggestions?

coffee_king

Hey All
I'm looking at purchasing a MultiFX bass pedal and was hoping for a bit of advise. I've looked at the above sticky but its a bit dated now.

I just need a good allrounder for playing covers of modern style pop music.

I need the following sounds:-
Improved slap sound, fuzz, synth, filter, compression and some different amp sounds I think are going to be the bare minimum I'll need.

I'll probably need an expression pedal to control the filter and I need something where I can easily save the sounds (I take it you can do this on all multiFX pedals?) so even if I accidentally move a knob, slider etc it wont effect anything.

Any suggestions?

The Zoom B2.1u seems pretty good from what I've seen online so far, but how is it in a live scenario? How do you turn a pedal sound off and on? From the online videos it looks like the left foot switch goes down the bank of sounds and the right foot switch goes up the bank of sounds?
Also how many combined sounds can you use at once?

Thanks

[quote name='shippo' post='1252614' date='Jun 1 2011, 12:58 PM']Improved slap sound, fuzz, synth, filter, compression and some different amp sounds[/quote]

I'd probably say a Line 6 Pod HD if you're after Amp Emulation. If it's just effects then there are loads to choose from but the Amp Sim stuff is where it starts to get a bit more complicated. My advice though would be a Line 6 M9 and use EQ and Drive to simulate different amps though.

Dan

[quote name='shippo' post='1252614' date='Jun 1 2011, 12:58 PM']The Zoom B2.1u seems pretty good from what I've seen online so far, but how is it in a live scenario? How do you turn a pedal sound off and on? From the online videos it looks like the left foot switch goes down the bank of sounds and the right foot switch goes up the bank of sounds?
Also how many combined sounds can you use at once?[/quote]

You basically have to set up a series of patches, and each one of these patches has one or more (or none) of the effects modules activated, with your settings saved. Then you switch up and down the patches. If you set every other patch to a "core sound" it makes it pretty easy to use in a live setting.

It has a couple of drawbacks - I don't think you can use the synth and drive modules at the same time for example. It's worth having a quick read of the manual, as you'll HAVE to if you buy one.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1252719' date='Jun 1 2011, 02:40 PM']You basically have to set up a series of patches, and each one of these patches has one or more (or none) of the effects modules activated, with your settings saved. Then you switch up and down the patches. If you set every other patch to a "core sound" it makes it pretty easy to use in a live setting.[/quote]
How do you know if the effect is on or off? Is it indicated by an on/off light?
I ask this because I wonder if the "Off" effect you have to program in is still considered to be an effect and thus a light to indicate activation/on of an ACTUAL effect would then stay on through to the "Off" effect (if you catch my drift)?

You have to remember the patches. They all have a letter and a number. So, you might set A1 as your dirty sound, A2 as your clean sound, A3 as your filter, A4 as a copy of A2, A5 as a chorus etc etc

The display displays the letter/number combination.

[quote name='shippo' post='1252614' date='Jun 1 2011, 12:58 PM']The Zoom B2.1u seems pretty good from what I've seen online so far, but how is it in a live scenario? How do you turn a pedal sound off and on? From the online videos it looks like the left foot switch goes down the bank of sounds and the right foot switch goes up the bank of sounds?

Thanks[/quote]

If you're looking for a pedal where you can switch effects on and off, and edit them simply and quickly while playing live, the Boss ME-50 in "stomp box" mode" is your best bet IMO. You basically have three pedals which are allocated a particular effect. You can switch on and off, and edit the effect using good old fashioned knobs while playing live! You get a decent(ish) compressor and EQ section as well.

The problem with the ME-50 is that its less good if you use it for switching between pre-programmed banks as there is a short, but noticeable, time delay.

Personally, I only ever use the stomp box mode live, and I find it far easier to use than the Zoom or Line 6 floor pod.

The Korg AX3000B can be used in stomp box mode and can be edited from a PC (that's enough to sell it to a gadget lover like me...). I prefer the ones like this, the Zoom B9 or the Boss MExB type, where you select a bank and can then choose from four patches in the bank with a single press, as with the up/down type, it's not so easy if you want to switch between three different patches in a song.