Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jazz - volume controls

mcnach

I had a gig on Sunday in Stirling, and just by chance I noticed a nice natural VM Jazz, used, for sale a few miles away...
So between soundcheck and the gig I jumped in the car and now I own a beautiful Squier VM Jazz.

Pretty nice bass. Strings are a bit old, and I haven't put new ones in yet, so I'll wait to change them before passing full judgement,
I was surprised at how light it was. Then I noticed the body seems to be a bit thinner than usual. Whatever, I like it. Feels good. Very solid, and comfortable.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the sound. I can't put my finger on it, and I'll wait untilo it has new strings on... but I can't hep feeling it could improve a lot with some good pickups. It sounds a bit "cheap". Although the pickup heights definitely need adjusting and that often has a big impact in the final sound.

I took it on Monday for rehearsal with Radge Against The Machine (debut gig on the 25th of June, Edinburgh... if you're around you know what you should do! :)
It felt good... and I noticed something with the volume controls that I had never noticed with a Jazz before.
If I use both bickups on, full volume on both, and I back off *very slightly* the neck volume... the bridge pretty much takes over. These volume controls are basically all or nothing. I normally would go for pots that allow me a gradual change... but for a VVT configuration like this, I actually like this.
Why?
Because I was playing with both pickups on, adjusting tone a bit with the tone control.
Then, when I wanted a more mid-rich cutting tone, I just backed off a tiny bit the neck volume knob. A very small amount of turn can have a big change in sound. I found it better than other VVT configurations I've tried, and even better than those with a blend control instead of two volumes.

curious.

IIRC, they ship with 500k volume pots as standard, not the 250k a jazz would normally have. Perhaps this is a contributory factor?
Maybe yours have been changed and someone has installed Linear pots instead of Logarithmic (Audio Taper) ones?
Difficult to say without whipping the control plate off and having a look!

I must say I've noticed this 'feature' with mine too, which although bought pre-owned, has all standard bits on as far as I can tell. Perhaps some clever bar-stewards can enlighten us.
I quite like the sound of the stock pickups, the 'Duncan designed' jobbies. All very subjective, of course.
A heck of a lot of bass for the £'s. Love mine as a leaving out around the house & dodgy venue instrument. Very pretty too.

Thanks for the replies.

So it's common? huh. I never noticed it. I only ever owned a Jazz (copy) before (my first bass) and it was a much more gradual thing. I think. Then the Westfield... to be honest I used it on bridge pickup alone entirely, until I put a John East preamp, so no more VVT.

My previous experience of VVT controls were in OLPs, and I hated those. But the way they work in this Jazz is not bad. Not bad at all.