Why become a member? ×

P pups [emg, fralin and SDQP]

nash

There's a lot of them, so here's my experiences/thoughts:

SDQP - nope, doesn't sound like a Pbass to me. Too aggressive and bright.

SD vintage (not antiq) bang on as a replacement, sounds right looks right.

DiMarzio Model P sounds a a bit more aggressive, but still very true as a P replacement. Also a four conductor humbucker so very good on background noise. Looks wrong, but who cares?

Wizard trad - didn't overly impress me ( :) ). Also found it hard to fit, as the case seems a bit oversized? I know these things vary, but this was the worst I've found. Let me know if you want it?

Kent Armstrong Sky (WD) - very good for the money, pretty traditional P sound but again I found the cover was a bit oversized?

EMG - I love. Can sound pretty P like if you turn the tone down, but a lot cleaner and also brighter if you want. Sounds great with flats. Battery can be a squeeze in a P bass, depands on the routing. And battery changing is a chore, but you don't have to do that very often.

I currently use the DiMarzio.

Hope that helps a bit

BB

Hi guys
When i started playing wayyy back in 1990, i had a japanese bass called a vantage, looked a bit like a westone thunder, it sounded absolutely fantastic i later found out it was a dimarzio p pickup, i loved it. +1 for the EMG too great tone highly recommended especially in the PJ arrangement.
LEE

There's a lot of them, so here's my experiences/thoughts:

SDQP - nope, doesn't sound like a Pbass to me. Too aggressive and bright.

SD vintage (not antiq) bang on as a replacement, sounds right looks right.

DiMarzio Model P sounds a a bit more aggressive, but still very true as a P replacement. Also a four conductor humbucker so very good on background noise. Looks wrong, but who cares?

Wizard trad - didn't overly impress me ( :) ). Also found it hard to fit, as the case seems a bit oversized? I know these things vary, but this was the worst I've found. Let me know if you want it?

Kent Armstrong Sky (WD) - very good for the money, pretty traditional P sound but again I found the cover was a bit oversized?

EMG - I love. Can sound pretty P like if you turn the tone down, but a lot cleaner and also brighter if you want. Sounds great with flats. Battery can be a squeeze in a P bass, depands on the routing. And battery changing is a chore, but you don't have to do that very often.

I currently use the DiMarzio.

Hope that helps a bit

BB
[/quote]

I have 2 CIJ Fenders. a P with 'US Vintage pups' and a 1989 Power Jazz Bass Special with..well.. what I believe were pups modelled on '62 P styles.. That I have no idea about. The P sounds great, but the PJBS P pickup is very very different in every single way. I really love it! - I have no idea why it sounds like it does, maybe it has aged, but it has a honkyness to it, but the bottom end is fuller in comparison and a different timbre altogether. The P is clean with a deeper bottom end, put sounds far more like the bass acoustically than the PJBS.

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='145679' date='Feb 23 2008, 06:23 PM']Shame I didnt see this one earlier.

I have an EMG PJ set sat in my wardrobe after taking them out of an older bass. May have sorted you out. Never mind.[/quote]

pm rohan about them. he might be interested