Why become a member? ×

Basic play-along backing tracks?

aonindy

Hey All,

towards the end of (mainly classical) DB lessons teach gets out a geeetar and strums along
chord progresions getting me to pizz out walking lines / scales etc. Its been suggested I
look on tinterweb or ask around for some backing MP3s with simple chord progresssions
I could play over on loops etc ... anyone any ideas of this kind of thing ready made before
I annoy someone with Garage-Band to work some stuff up for me?

thanks!

Allen.

[quote name='aonindy' post='1250346' date='May 30 2011, 02:44 PM']Hey All,

towards the end of (mainly classical) DB lessons teach gets out a geeetar and strums along
chord progresions getting me to pizz out walking lines / scales etc. Its been suggested I
look on tinterweb or ask around for some backing MP3s with simple chord progresssions
I could play over on loops etc ... anyone any ideas of this kind of thing ready made before
I annoy someone with Garage-Band to work some stuff up for me?

thanks!

Allen.[/quote]
There are many ways of getting backing tracks.
1 Buy some of the Abersold Playalong books . They come with a Cd and you can turn the bass off .
2 Download midi files. There are thousands out there .
3 Make your own using Garage Band or equivalent sequencer.
4 If you have an iphone the Real Book app (about £3.00 or so) contains about 800 tunes which have built in backing tracks. Just wire it up to your Hi Fi and voila ...your own virtual rhythm section.

[quote name='marvin spangles' post='1250392' date='May 30 2011, 03:34 PM']There are many ways of getting backing tracks.
1 Buy some of the Abersold Playalong books . They come with a Cd and you can turn the bass off .
2 Download midi files. There are thousands out there .
3 Make your own using Garage Band or equivalent sequencer.
4 If you have an iphone the Real Book app (about £3.00 or so) contains about 800 tunes which have built in backing tracks. Just wire it up to your Hi Fi and voila ...your own virtual rhythm section.[/quote]

I really like the iReal Book, I have it on my iPad, altho the latest version doesn't have all the fake book tunes for copyright reasons, but they are apparently downloadable from the app website

Not so much for jamming, but Bill Bentgen's scales podcast is pretty good for practising intonation. (If you just search his name on Itunes store, I'm sure it'll come up) I'd quite like to get into trying to practice scales with some drone notes though, if anyone knows where I can find some?

EDIT - Found a couple of sites that have drones free to download, if anyone's interested.

Edited by Hector

[quote name='Hector' post='1250467' date='May 30 2011, 04:48 PM']Not so much for jamming, but Bill Bentgen's scales podcast is pretty good for practising intonation. (If you just search his name on Itunes store, I'm sure it'll come up) I'd quite like to get into trying to practice scales with some drone notes though, if anyone knows where I can find some?

EDIT - Found a couple of sites that have drones free to download, if anyone's interested.[/quote]

Absolutely - where'd you get them?

[url="http://www.playjazznow.com/bassist.html"]http://www.playjazznow.com/bassist.html[/url]

Ive used this site but you do have to pay to download but its fairly cheap.

How are your lessons with Billy/ I had to stop due to my bloody leaving cert. Havent had a chance to really practise.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1250515' date='May 30 2011, 05:26 PM']Absolutely - where'd you get them?[/quote]
[url="http://www.jazzeducationdatabase.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66:drones-for-intonation-practice-download&catid=48:misc-lessons&Itemid=57"]Here[/url] and [url="http://www.2reed.net/awesome.html#MP3_Drones"]here.[/url]

A very very good way to practice intonation - you know if you're in tune or not, but your ear is doing the work by hearing the interval. Tons of different ways to use these.

thanks all - great stuff there.

FatG .. doing good with Billy (teacher) ... alternating between making great progress some
weeks and feeling like I've never had the beast in my hands *ever* other days ... not having
a great time with the bow - serious issues with a nerve at the end of my thumb going to sleep
and such ... working on that at the moment. I do pretty ok (albeit slowely) now at very basic
sight-reading *once its Pizz* ... however as soon as I bring in the bow that combination just makes
it a lot lot harder ... still, its all about getting in the hours I suppose!!

Best of luck in the leaving!!!!

/A.

[quote]not having a great time with the bow - serious issues with a nerve at the end of my thumb going to sleep and such[/quote]

Are you using a french bow? I also found that it brutalised my thumb, so I tried my teachers german bow and it was so much more comfortable. I'd recommend giving it a go, felt much more natural to me.

Edited by ZMech

Hi ZMech,

yep - French ... I suggested switching to German to Teach and he has
gently nudged me to stick with the French for a while (he uses French)
and feels its just a matter of persisting until I find a position that does not
have this effect. Was at my Chripractor the other day for my back
thingy and mentioned the bow issue - she immediatly jumped on the fact
that it seems my thumbs are double-jointed or something which may be
lending to the general issue ... will see what happens!

/A.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

When the real book app for the iPhone was first released it had all the real book tunes programmed in. The latest version does not (due to copyright infringement). However it does now come with the facility to back up you tunes via email. So if you know somebody who bought the first version they could email you the list of tunes.

Just a thought.

Redd

Ps. I've got the previous version :)