Why become a member? ×

Reliability of Genz Benz Shuttle series amps?

OzzyGreg

Guys,

I am currently looking to buy a Genz Benz STL MAX 12.0.

I've never owned a Genz Benz product before.
Have there been any problems with these amps?

If I do it I will probably be buying it online, with no warranty. (GB USA won't warrant an amp bought from outside the USA/Canada.)

Any input greatly appreciated.

Greg
(Australia)

I don't know much about these amps, I am assuming that you can't get these from a dealer in Auz..??
Otherwise the warranty thing is understandable. Check that your source amp runs at your local voltage as the Yanks use 110v so you'll need the amp to be switchable..assuming Auz runs 230V..???

They are plenty of guys here who rate them and I am sure they will be along in a mo.

All I own from Genz are a couple of speakers with which I am very happy.

The ergonomics / feature set of the Genz amps never did it for me, but many love them.

My only reservation is what seems to be a relatively large number of posts praising Genz's customer service in dealing with problems. While it's great that they deal with problems so well, it does sound like there are quite a few amps that do have problems - although it's hard to tell, as you don't get a feel for the number of 100% working items.

If you have warranty service, then this shouldn't be a major worry to you, but might be as you don't?

2 years in with no problems here, I think there was an issue very early on which has tainted things a bit but afaik it was actually part of the Bang and Olufson output stage rather than the Genz circuit. Also from what I have heard the backup was amazing with gear being lent from dealers and Genz until it was sorted. I wouldn't part with mine ever even if I needed a big rig again the shuttle could stay as a handy spare/practice amp.

Greg - I bought my Shuttle 6.0 when I was back in Oz from Rocket Music in the USA using their talkbass discount code (for other's information, prices from shops in Australia are often way more expensive than buying the gear from overseas yourself and taking a punt on the need for a warranty). Firstly - Rocket Music are highly recommended. Secondly - my 6.0 has never skipped a beat, and I've used it in many situations (rehearsals -> medium size gigs, different cab configs); it's also been through temperature extremes (-20C here in Estonia and +40C in Australia), and is still kicking nicely a couple of years on ... and this is with a number of international flights under it's belt... :^)

I doubt that GB has any more troubles with their amps than do other manufacturers that use the B&O output modules - and their customer service really is terriffic. I've asked questions of them a couple of times, and each time had an email reply from Jeff Genzler himself within 24hrs.

One thing though - the wattage ratings on the 6.0 and 9.0 appear to be a little overstated. This is the module used in the Shuttle 6.0:
[url="http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/news/news?id=20"]http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/news/news?id=20[/url]
--> 500W @ 4ohms with 10% THD ... yet the Shuttle 6.0 is rated at 600W into 4ohms?

Also, not sure about the other models but the Shuttle 6.0 has a 230V / 110V switch so there's no trouble importing into Australia (nominally 240V at the wall) for this model.