Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan

guitaremporium

Hello everyone.

This is Malcolm from [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk"]The Guitar Emporium[/url]. I spent a long time tryining to find the Bassworld replacement and now I have! Following my original offer to Bassworlders, I will offer 10% discount to Basschaters on most models or provide free P&P on those I can't. Fender Japan have increased their prices and the pound is currently low against the Yen. This offer is valid until 31 March 2008.

• 1 month later...

I've just seen this (already finished) bass on ebay. I had no idea this sort of thing was potentially available.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-1970-reissue_W0QQitemZ300208481730"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...emZ300208481730[/url]

Plus points:
[list]
[*]Dark, almost black, fretboard (so important)
[*]Nut width looks quite thin ('70s style, I guess)
[*]Beautiful colour, I'd get a tort guard on that quick
[/list]

Is this sort of bass still potentially available?
Is there any control over the shade of the fretboard?
I'm not familiar with neck shapes. What's meant by a U -shaped neck?

Paul, The 70's models are still available - in both Japan and no doubt through any importer.

Might be hard getting a very dark fingerboard - but certainly worth asking sellers if they have such beasts in stock. You could dye the rosewood. How you would do that I do not know - apparently most ebony fingerboards are dyed to remove inconsistencies in grain. Ask a good luthier - or ask the folks on this very forum !

I'd still love to get a Black Fender Japan 70's P-bass and put a mirror scratchplate on it - in fact fender Japan brought out one a few years ago - PB70TL - or something like that - rosewood board. Should have got one ...........are you ready etc etc..........

The neck should be a B-profile - i.e., 1.65 inches nut width - a bit narrower than a 60's/50's P-bass - 1.75 inches (C-profile) - but not as narrow as a Jazz - 1.5 inches (A-profile). I have a maple necked P- bass with the B-profile and I love it to bits - very playable and very comfortable in the hand.

Thanks for your help, dmz. I now see the blue colour option on the GE website, SBL. I might have caught the auction if I hadn't been so specific with my ebay searches.

The GE website says the nut width is 40mm, which is the same as on the jazz neck on my P-special. I'm not really shopping, tbh, but the fretboard and colour option really got my attention. It's great to know what's available.