Why become a member? ×

Sod it. Just ruined two sets of DR Black Beauties with one of these ..

xilddx

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-Headless-Hohner-Cort-String-Adapter-/320705667153?_trksid=p4340.m506&_trkparms=algo%3DNGRI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D320699726503%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D250358189248232068#ht_608wt_1141"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-Headless...8#ht_608wt_1141[/url]

The guy is really nice and offered me a full refund, but I'm about £40 down on strings now.

I think the problem is that my strings have round cores. DR are quite clear that round core strings do not allow the wraps to grip the cores in the way hex cores do, therefore they flatten the core at the end of the string that gets clipped and wound around the tuning machine post so the wraps don't unravel. I am now pretty sure that must be the problem as the clamp on the unit affects the part of the string with the round core, therefore the wrap has no grip and unravels. This happened to me on five strings.

So, headless owners who want one of these, check your strings are hex core.

It's a known issue. Well, it certainly is at Status towers. During a lengthy conversation with Dawn, she explained that whilst they'd love to do round-cored Hotwires, they just keep coming unwrapped. Even Double Ball-ended ones, and always at the head(less?) end. Strange.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1248610' date='May 28 2011, 08:29 PM']It's a known issue. Well, it certainly is at Status towers. During a lengthy conversation with Dawn, she explained that whilst they'd love to do round-cored Hotwires, they just keep coming unwrapped. Even Double Ball-ended ones, and always at the head(less?) end. Strange.[/quote]
Mmm, I've never had a problem with DRs but they flatten the core at the tuner end.

[quote name='silddx' post='1248508' date='May 28 2011, 06:22 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-Headless-Hohner-Cort-String-Adapter-/320705667153?_trksid=p4340.m506&_trkparms=algo%3DNGRI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D320699726503%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D250358189248232068#ht_608wt_1141"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-Headless...8#ht_608wt_1141[/url]

The guy is really nice and offered me a full refund, but I'm about £40 down on strings now.

I think the problem is that my strings have round cores. DR are quite clear that round core strings do not allow the wraps to grip the cores in the way hex cores do, therefore they flatten the core at the end of the string that gets clipped and wound around the tuning machine post so the wraps don't unravel. I am now pretty sure that must be the problem as the clamp on the unit affects the part of the string with the round core, therefore the wrap has no grip and unravels. This happened to me on five strings.

So, headless owners who want one of these, check your strings are hex core.[/quote]

Don't DR suggest you put a 90 degree bend in the string before cutting to stop the windings moving on the core? Pretty sure it says that on the Hi Beam packaging anyway.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1248610' date='May 28 2011, 08:29 PM']It's a known issue. Well, it certainly is at Status towers. During a lengthy conversation with Dawn, she explained that whilst they'd love to do round-cored Hotwires, they just keep coming unwrapped. Even Double Ball-ended ones, and always at the head(less?) end. Strange.[/quote]

Status Premium Round wound have a round core according to the website.... I tried a set but they seemed to sound darker than the normal Hotwires so I didn't get any more.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1248892' date='May 29 2011, 08:19 AM']Don't DR suggest you put a 90 degree bend in the string before cutting to stop the windings moving on the core? Pretty sure it says that on the Hi Beam packaging anyway.

Something of that nature, yes.

Status Premium Round wound have a round core according to the website.... I tried a set but they seemed to sound darker than the normal Hotwires so I didn't get any more.[/quote]

Are they Double Ball-Ended? It's only an issue with these and any clamp-type string retainer (as per the E-bay link in the OP and also as featured on Status/Other Headless basses.
If they're ([i]just[/i]) standard strings and are used on headed instruments, there'd be no problem. Perhaps that's why they make/market them?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1249019' date='May 29 2011, 11:41 AM']Are they Double Ball-Ended? It's only an issue with these and any clamp-type string retainer (as per the E-bay link in the OP and also as featured on Status/Other Headless basses.
If they're ([i]just[/i]) standard strings and are used on headed instruments, there'd be no problem. Perhaps that's why they make/market them?[/quote]

Didn't think DR made double ball end strings, may be wrong though.

I'm suggesting feeding the uncut string through the clamp, putting a 90 degree bend in the string before cutting to avoid unwinding, tightening the clamp which should also prevent unwinding, and then finally cutting to length. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the Steinberger headless system works :)

Seems to be an issue with these clamps and certain strings as Mr Bassman made me aware of this some time ago. I have a similar clamp for my headless EUB and will be using the ball end into the clamp at the Nut and the plain end into the Tuner below the bridge.
Problem on the E the as winding is a bit longer and would run onto the fingerboard so will need to 'shim' it back a bit.

He got back to me saying he's tried almost every string going, including DRs. Didn't say if they were round core though. He reckons I may have over-tightened the screws.

Anyway, he's cool and will refund me including the return shipping. Live and learn, and spend cash doing it :)

Edited by silddx