Why become a member? ×

Bass Clinics

There's a chance I might be doing one of these at some point, I've done the product demonstrator at a bass show, but playing at the same time as about 100 other bassists is easy, keeping people entertained while being the only person there (or maybe borrow a drummer) seems much harder work.

Any ideas? I quite like the two hand tapping thing and have a few rough ideas from there, I was thinking about maybe a looper (I've fancied one to play with for a while, this is a better excuse than most I could come up with, even if I don't end up doing the clinic). Anything else? I'm a capable player, but I'm not good enough to wow people on a speedy technical level.

Being honest, I find bass a fairly uninspiring instrument on it's own. The joy of the instrument for me is locking in with what else is going into the rest of the music and being the keystone to the songs, so it's hard to think of what to do on my own.

If anyone has experience of loopers, it'd be nice for a few suggestions. I don't want an expensive sampler and midi floorboard or anything, I was thinking along the lines of a Boss RC20.

Personally, I think if you haven't got a looper then it's probably not a great idea to go and try to inspire other bassists with equipment you aren't entirely familiar/comfortable with, in an environment you aren't used to. It probably won't help you to project any confidence if you're worrying/unsure about the looper.

I also think, as a bassist, if i was going to a clinic it would be really refreshing and great to see the player concentrating on groove and explaining methods of how to lock-in with and/or play against a drummer.

Maybe something like the Victor Wooten prosessions would be a good route to take?

There are some great concepts and approaches in that. Maybe you could give similar tips but focus on how to play effectively with other musicians live? A much more valuable and interesting topic for a clinic IMO.

Just an idea :)

Edited by skej21

Whats is the clinic about/ for? Or is it just "Thombassmonkey" clinic? If you know what i mean, is it showing people what you do, or is it about bass in general or?

Look up billy sheehans clinic stuff! In my mind he has the right idea

1) Be the BASS PLAYER

2) Don't forget the basics, timing rhythem, locking with drums (part of step one as well)

3) Fancy tricks can come latter when you've mastered the foundations of your playing!

It'd be a GK clinic for a local shop that I helped sort a GK dealership for, so would have to include the amps I guess, though I'd still be doing something fairly general. It's not 100% yet so if I were to get a looper I'd have time to learn it and I've spent a lot of time using soft loopers, it'd be a case of learning what the buttons do rather than how to use loops.

I'm not so much thinking of a workshop style one, so it'd more be showing what the amps are capable of than teaching. I'm not even sure who I'd be playing to, it'd be in the shop so there's no garuanteeing it'd even be bassists so it'd need to be something interesting to anyone.

I'll look up Wooten and Sheehand's clinics though and see if I can get any kind of direction from them. Thanks. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1247626' date='May 27 2011, 09:46 PM']It'd be a GK clinic for a local shop that I helped sort a GK dealership for, so would have to include the amps I guess, though I'd still be doing something fairly general. It's not 100% yet so if I were to get a looper I'd have time to learn it and I've spent a lot of time using soft loopers, it'd be a case of learning what the buttons do rather than how to use loops.

I'm not so much thinking of a workshop style one, so it'd more be showing what the amps are capable of than teaching. I'm not even sure who I'd be playing to, it'd be in the shop so there's no garuanteeing it'd even be bassists so it'd need to be something interesting to anyone.

I'll look up Wooten and Sheehand's clinics though and see if I can get any kind of direction from them. Thanks. :)[/quote]

I think a looper would be good! (a really simple one, stomp to add a loop) as you could change the settings between each loop to show how versatile the amp is! (i'd enjoy that!)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1247626' date='May 27 2011, 09:46 PM']It'd be a GK clinic for a local shop that I helped sort a GK dealership for, so would have to include the amps I guess, though I'd still be doing something fairly general. It's not 100% yet so if I were to get a looper I'd have time to learn it and I've spent a lot of time using soft loopers, it'd be a case of learning what the buttons do rather than how to use loops.

I'll look up Wooten and Sheehand's clinics though and see if I can get any kind of direction from them. Thanks. :)[/quote]
May I ask what the objective of the clinic is?

[quote name='silddx' post='1247684' date='May 27 2011, 10:56 PM']May I ask what the objective of the clinic is?[/quote]

That's the big question. :) As I said, I've just been casually asked if I'd be interested at the moment, there's not been any specifics discussed yet (if it even happens) but I assume it'd be a showcase of sorts of GK amps but with the intention of being interesting to the average person (as much as possible) instead of just a tour around the amp.

It's very early days and if I'm honest, it's probably not going to happen, but it's a hypothetical situation that I'm interested in anyway as I've done a trade show for GK, it's not that big a step up (if it's even up) to go from pratting about on their bass amps for a couple of days at an industry show to being the main attraction at a shop. It just needs a lot more organisation on my behalf than "show up and prat about with a bass a bit".

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1247716' date='May 27 2011, 11:20 PM']That's the big question. :) As I said, I've just been casually asked if I'd be interested at the moment, there's not been any specifics discussed yet (if it even happens) but I assume it'd be a showcase of sorts of GK amps but with the intention of being interesting to the average person (as much as possible) instead of just a tour around the amp.

It's very early days and if I'm honest, it's probably not going to happen, but it's a hypothetical situation that I'm interested in anyway as I've done a trade show for GK, it's not that big a step up (if it's even up) to go from pratting about on their bass amps for a couple of days at an industry show to being the main attraction at a shop. It just needs a lot more organisation on my behalf than "show up and prat about with a bass a bit".[/quote]
In that case, get a drummer to do it with you, and demo the equipment's properties and capabilities and how it sounds while you play wonderful grooves, riffs and licks with the drummer, while also demonstrating how versatile the equipment is. You can then teach them about EQ strategies and how to musically lock in with a drummer.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1247716' date='May 27 2011, 11:20 PM']but I assume it'd be a showcase of sorts of GK amps but with the intention of [b]being interesting to the average person[/b] (as much as possible) instead of just a tour around the amp.[/quote]

Slap the cobblers out of your Bass - that will interest the average person... :)

Garry

[quote name='skej21' post='1247607' date='May 27 2011, 09:19 PM']Personally, I think if you haven't got a looper then it's probably not a great idea to go and try to inspire other bassists with equipment you aren't entirely familiar/comfortable with, in an environment you aren't used to. It probably won't help you to project any confidence if you're worrying/unsure about the looper.

I also think, as a bassist, if i was going to a clinic it would be really refreshing and great to see the player concentrating on groove and explaining methods of how to lock-in with and/or play against a drummer.

Maybe something like the Victor Wooten prosessions would be a good route to take?

There are some great concepts and approaches in that. Maybe you could give similar tips but focus on how to play effectively with other musicians live? A much more valuable and interesting topic for a clinic IMO.

Just an idea :)[/quote]

Excellent video! Really enjoyed that! Good point on the groove element.

But seeing as the clinic is about a particular piece of equipment, I'd second what sliddix reckons. Get a drummer to go in with you, work out pieces together, nothing sets a better example than hearing and learning it in the context of a band.

Let us know what happens.

Dan

A lower tech option might be to just play along with some tracks on an mp3 player, demonstrating different sounds from the amp suitable for each track / style, and maybe talking about how the groove or riff works within the song and covering any technique you're using pick / fingers / slap / tap etc.

If you can have a few things prepared and judge how the audience is responding you can focus on groove or on chops depending on the reaction.

[quote name='silddx' post='1247735' date='May 27 2011, 11:35 PM']In that case, get a drummer to do it with you, and demo the equipment's properties and capabilities and how it sounds while you play wonderful grooves, riffs and licks with the drummer, while also demonstrating how versatile the equipment is. You can then teach them about EQ strategies and how to musically lock in with a drummer.[/quote]

+1
As a punter that would get my attention. If a drumkit isn't feasible some kind of live precussion player would take any demo to another level. I also like the idea of talking EQ. It's too often seen as a mysterious black art, when it isn't.