Why become a member? ×

Help blown speaker

Leemo

Another thing to check is the flexible wiring between the chassis of the speaker and the cone. Sometimes they are situated at such an angle where they rattle when the cone is moving. Gently move the two wires where they connect to the terminal post or tag strip by about 3 - 4mm and see if this resolves the problem.

A good test is to roll all of the treble response off both on the bass and amp and play an open E string at a fairly low volume (at a similar level that you use in the house if you were practicing). This usually accentuates these sorts of vibration problems and makes them easier to work on.

The most common cause of buzzes if it isn't something loose are the dust cover (dome in the middle ) coming loose or the corrugated surround coming loose. both can be re glued with copydex latex adhesive. Alternatively it could be a small tear in the cone which can be 'layered up' with copydex and tissue paper. I assume youve checked that nothing is touching the cone and it isn't the rattle of something loose in the cab.

Good luck, I hope it isn't something too serious.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1252246' date='May 31 2011, 11:44 PM']The most common cause of buzzes if it isn't something loose are the dust cover (dome in the middle ) coming loose or the corrugated surround coming loose. both can be re glued with copydex latex adhesive. Alternatively it could be a small tear in the cone which can be 'layered up' with copydex and tissue paper. I assume youve checked that nothing is touching the cone and it isn't the rattle of something loose in the cab.

Good luck, I hope it isn't something too serious.[/quote]

Many thanks for your responses & advice , I will double check before splashing out on new one

What they said ^
But also, if you have another speaker cab or can borrow one, just check the amp first and eliminate that from the possible causes of the noise.
You say "buzzing" but do you mean constantly or when you hit a low or loud note?
I have the same combo and it`s great, but not with the Blueline ashdown speaker in!
I use an Ampeg 15"300w.
The drivers mentioned above would be a nice upgrade.
Should you wish to keep the Blueline, you can get it re-coned if needs be for about £50.00
But for £30 more you could get something a lot nicer.

MM

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='whizzzy' post='1249928' date='May 30 2011, 09:39 AM']Another thing to check is the flexible wiring between the chassis of the speaker and the cone.[/quote]
Also check the joint between the leadout wires and the cone. I had the same problem with the same Ashdown (Sica) driver and had cut the cone to bits before I discovered exactly where the problem was. It's very difficult to locate either aurally of visually but it creates a terrible buzz/rattle. Put a little bit of Blue Tac over the joint to see if it helps.

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1255493' date='Jun 3 2011, 02:45 PM']What they said ^
But also, if you have another speaker cab or can borrow one, just check the amp first and eliminate that from the possible causes of the noise.
You say "buzzing" but do you mean constantly or when you hit a low or loud note?
I have the same combo and it`s great, but not with the Blueline ashdown speaker in!
I use an Ampeg 15"300w.
The drivers mentioned above would be a nice upgrade.
Should you wish to keep the Blueline, you can get it re-coned if needs be for about £50.00
But for £30 more you could get something a lot nicer.

MM[/quote]
Yes , I have proved it to be the speaker by connection my 4*10 cab to the abm500 & it is perfect. To be honest it will make sense to buy a new one than have this repaired. There are no obvious signs of wear or tearing. Yes the buzzing is not constant but occurs to be annoying & degrades the sound quality. Would I be ok putting a 300W speaker through a 500W amp as you have done?

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1252246' date='May 31 2011, 11:44 PM']The most common cause of buzzes if it isn't something loose are the dust cover (dome in the middle ) coming loose or the corrugated surround coming loose. both can be re glued with copydex latex adhesive. Alternatively it could be a small tear in the cone which can be 'layered up' with copydex and tissue paper. I assume youve checked that nothing is touching the cone and it isn't the rattle of something loose in the cab.

Good luck, I hope it isn't something too serious.[/quote]
Tried the copydex but still the same, wires seem ok too, nothing else vibrating, must be goosed

[quote name='Leemo' post='1255634' date='Jun 3 2011, 04:09 PM']Would I be ok putting a 300W speaker through a 500W amp as you have done?[/quote]
Hi leemo, my Ampeg 300 is 8ohms, so with no extension speaker the amp is only 8ohms@300watts also.
With the other 8ohm speaker,plugged in, the ohms reduce to 4 and then you get 500watts@4ohm, but that gets divided into the two speakers so all is good.
I think anything bigger than 250watts in that cabinet is wasted anyway as it`s just not deep enough to cope with larger rated speakers.
MM