Why become a member? ×

GWB35, Gary Willis Signature Fretless 5-string

fender

i once had a squier VM fretless (practically the Jaco sig) and it had a nasty, plastic/"ebonol" fretboard, it even gave the sound a some what plastic'y tone and not the usual woody mellow sound. how does this sound?
is there any wood on the fretboard or a slab of ebonol?

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='1251127' date='May 31 2011, 09:49 AM']i once had a squier VM fretless (practically the Jaco sig) and it had a nasty, plastic/"ebonol" fretboard, it even gave the sound a some what plastic'y tone and not the usual woody mellow sound. how does this sound?
is there any wood on the fretboard or a slab of ebonol?[/quote]

Woody and Mellow. I didnt buy a Squier VM fretless for exactly the reasons you describe.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='1251785' date='May 31 2011, 05:10 PM']well they do say every guitar is different, good squier bass none the less but im more of a fan of the ol' rosewood/ebony necks.
thanks for the reply, always been keen on this bass so shall have check with the missus first[/quote]

Let me have your email, I did a short soundclip last night and will send it to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Netballman' post='1284697' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:13 PM']I used to have one of these, lovely sound, no-one should be worried about that ebonol board, it's great! Super bass for the money. Have a free bump :)[/quote]

Thanks for the bump, I agree, its a great sound, plenty of Mwahh. I'm only selling because I managed to find a GWB105.

[quote name='fender' post='1286932' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:41 PM']Thanks for the bump, I agree, its a great sound, plenty of Mwahh. I'm only selling because I managed to find a GWB105.[/quote]

Just out of interest is the difference between the two basses worth the massive price jump?

[quote name='lobematt' post='1287571' date='Jun 30 2011, 12:37 PM']Just out of interest is the difference between the two basses worth the massive price jump?[/quote]
That's the 1005 you are thinking of which is insane money, IMHO. I've never played one but if I had 3 grand, I don't think the 1005 would be on my shopping list.

I managed to pick up a 105, which was Korean made and has the ash body, natural finish and the single Bart pickup and pre. It retailed about £800. They were dropped in 2005 I think in favour of the 1005 and the 35. I missed the chance to buy one of the last 105's at the gallery and ended up buying this 35.

There is nothing wrong with the 35, it's served me very well. But the 105 is a better sound for me mainly because of the pickup.

[quote name='fender' post='1288557' date='Jul 1 2011, 08:06 AM']That's the 1005 you are thinking of which is insane money, IMHO. I've never played one but if I had 3 grand, I don't think the 1005 would be on my shopping list.

I managed to pick up a 105, which was Korean made and has the ash body, natural finish and the single Bart pickup and pre. It retailed about £800. They were dropped in 2005 I think in favour of the 1005 and the 35. I missed the chance to buy one of the last 105's at the gallery and ended up buying this 35.

There is nothing wrong with the 35, it's served me very well. But the 105 is a better sound for me mainly because of the pickup.[/quote]

Ah, thanks!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='fender' post='1355774' date='Aug 29 2011, 10:31 PM']Another Bump - No-one Interested in an excellent and affordable Fretless V?[/quote]

Amazed no-one is tempted by this. I have one myself and can honestly say they're one of the best value and best sounding 5-string fretlesses around.