Why become a member? ×

THIS. IS. BEAUTIFUL!

davebass66

It clearly splits opinion, which has got to be a good thing?!

Am gonna head to the gallery next week and try it out...Although I'm also looking to try a 74 P bass next week for similar money...

This might not end well for the 60th Anniversary P! :)

Well I'd like it, but with a reverse headstock (a la left handed neck on a right handed bass type of way) for those ZZ Top moments. I might just have to head down the shed and knock one up now its got me thinking....maybe a five string.....in black with a tort plate.....hmmmm

Posted this on the FDP bass page a few days back. meant to put it here too, so will remedy that now!

Had an hour to kill in my favourite local guitar store, Manson's, in Exeter, Devon. Took along the faithful '96 51RI, and did a straight comparison between it and the Squier Classic Vibe 50s in Butterscotch, and the new 60th Anniversary Prcision Bass.

I used (for the first time ever!) a classic SVT rig.

Squier: wow, that's a LOT of bass for the money. Pickup darker sounding than either of the others, despite having flats on the 51. Played really well and sounded great. Looked good, too, although I'd not in any way shape or form call that finish Butterscotch. Trans blonde, I would call it.

Anniversary: Very nice bass. I haven't a bad word to say about this, except...the Squier is so good, it would be hard to justify buying it! Also a trans-blondy sort of finish. Lovely feel to the neck. Again, great sound.

Neither of these felt or sounded better than the 51, so I'm not remotely tempted to replace it!
The quality of the Squier was frankly astounding.

Afterward, I had a quick clutch at an AV 57RI and a maple-board Standard Precision, MIM. The 57 had a large neck (ignoring the 'C' nut width, I like that), but the MIM? Absolute heaven, just like the rosewood one I already have. Thin from front to back, nice edges, just perfect. If I'd had the money, I'd have walked with that one without even plugging it in. Damn, but it was nice!

So many P-basses, so little cash...

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1244947' date='May 25 2011, 11:02 PM']Sorry but, for me, wrong headstock and wrong pickup.[/quote]

Id go for one if it had the big Humbucker pickup . . . like on the early 70's reissues ! . . . . and a Tele headstock of course !

As it is . . . . . well . . . . . a bit underwhelming I think . . . . . not as exciting a project as it could/should have been to celebrate 60 years of a glorious instrument ! !