Why become a member? ×

My elbow

TPJ

Try getting yourself a forearm clasp from a phsio. Great job and helped me a lot when I had my tennis elbow problems (and you get to look like yer man Greenwood from Radiohead to boot!). I'm afraid to say you'll be lucky if it clears up in a few weeks...

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1244209' date='May 25 2011, 01:28 PM']Try getting yourself a forearm clasp from a phsio. Great job and helped me a lot when I had my tennis elbow problems (and you get to look like yer man Greenwood from Radiohead to boot!). I'm afraid to say you'll be lucky if it clears up in a few weeks...[/quote]

Yeah, the doctor recommended I get one of the forearm clasps. And I agree, it's going to be more than a few weeks.

I took two weeks off playing, eating Ibuprofen all day and then tried playing on Sunday. Hurt after about 6 notes. I have med-high action with Evah weichs. Might have to go to Honeys again ot Velvet Blues to ease string tension.

Just a bit gutted though as playing db is my most favoritest musical thing.

Edited by TPJ

I'm not a physio, but as far as I understand it, tennis elbow comes from excessive, repeated wrist movement.

Assuming you're right -handed, if it's your left arm that's suffering, it means you need to use your shoulder much more and your wrist much less. If your right elbow is the problem, again you need to use your arm, not your wrist.

I repeat, i'm not an expert in this, so you need to take professional advice.

Hope you get back to playing soon.

Ah man that blows.

I've not had any elbow issues (yet) but I'm in my mid '30s, a programmer by profession and a bass player otherwise, and my wrists now insist that I decide how I am going to spend the limited time they will allow me. I can't play as much as I want to any more, I'm too worried that my wrists will get worse and never get any better.

Hoping your elbow sorts itself out.

sanding the radii on fingerboards has left me with constant arm ache. ironically, after building too many basses, it's now playing the bass that hurts the most. and stopping to rest for 6 months is out of the question. my dad has trouble with all his joints due to a lifetime of hard graft as a decorator. mostly sanding ceilings. sandpaper has a lot to answer for.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1244209' date='May 25 2011, 01:28 PM']Try getting yourself a forearm clasp from a phsio. Great job and helped me a lot when I had my tennis elbow problems (and you get to look like yer man Greenwood from Radiohead to boot!). I'm afraid to say you'll be lucky if it clears up in a few weeks...[/quote]

Big +1 to the Epi Clasp

Having suffered from Epicondylitis in my left elbow for a number of years and tiring of endless bouts of painkillers and anti-inflammatories, I purchased one of these on a friends recommendation. Within two months the symptoms cleared up and now only both me after a severe bout of DIY but the clasp counters this within a day or so.

[quote name='JPJ' post='1252425' date='Jun 1 2011, 10:14 AM']Big +1 to the Epi Clasp

Having suffered from Epicondylitis in my left elbow for a number of years and tiring of endless bouts of painkillers and anti-inflammatories, I purchased one of these on a friends recommendation. Within two months the symptoms cleared up and now only both me after a severe bout of DIY but the clasp counters this within a day or so.[/quote]

I just ordered one off fleabay. I don't want to do painkillers for weeks and weeks, nor do I want a cortizone/steroid injection.

I'm a lefty who plays righty and like TNIT, am a programmer. It's my left elbow, and seems more like the golfer elbow as it's my funny bone ligament that is the source of discomfort.
I think it was a combo of coding a big app recently and not playing enough...a bit of rsi from the keyboard and then playing a gig the night I got back from being away for a week and not playing at all. Still pretty sore. Bleck