Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar £175 (£190 posted) SOLD

Beedster

Long story but I now have two of these. This one is two months old, still has the film on the pickguard, and will be posted in its original packaging. It's this model:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-rosewood-black--75481"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-vintag...od-black--75481[/url]

It's a pretty surprising bass for the money; it's not a Custom Shop Master Build for sure, but I'd take this over most MIMs and even some MIAs I've played. PUPs are hot, stacked controls and P/J combination offer a lot of tones, neck is Very fast, and it looks sharp.

PX for decent Sansamp DI or similar welcome

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1243988' date='May 25 2011, 10:35 AM']And yes it really is that mint.[/quote]

And not a hint of sunburst in sight :) Cheers Wayne.

I've pimped my other VM Jag with a Badass, SD QPs and Hipshot tuners, and, somewhat disappointingly, I'm not sure it's a whole lot better than it was before I started! The PUPs are very similar in tone and output, which makes sense I guess as the originals are Duncan Designed, and the sustain and intonation of the Squier bridge certainly isn't noticeably poorer than the Badass (perhaps there's the slightest hint of more harmonics with the latter but it's very slight). The Hipshot tuners make a difference for sure, but only in that they feel much smoother and have a different ratio, the originals hold it in tune just as well. In short, the Jag's pretty well put together. I was going to turn this one into a retro job with 60's spec PUPs, flats etc, but I think my bass modification OCD might be coming back, so have decided to nip it in the bud before I throw a few hundred quid at it!

Edited by Beedster

I'm going to keep this I think and get on with some modifications as planned. I'll post pics of two pimped Jags - one very contemporary, one very retro - in a couple of weeks :)

Then I'll probably sell them both :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1245723' date='May 26 2011, 03:05 PM']If I wasn't getting the Bass Terror I probably would have had it.[/quote]

You probably still will one day mate, best wait until I've spent a few quid on it though!

Having found myself looking at £150 PUPs on ebay last night and also considering a John East preamp, I think this baby had better go after all. It will otherwise cost me a bloody fortune (I've spent a couple of hundred on the other Jag as it is) :)

Wayne, if you want it, I owe you a favour, so we can negotiate on price (especially if you can collect it mate)!

Cheers

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1252422' date='Jun 1 2011, 10:13 AM']Having found myself looking at £150 PUPs on ebay last night and also considering a John East preamp, I think this baby had better go after all. It will otherwise cost me a bloody fortune (I've spent a couple of hundred on the other Jag as it is) :)[/quote]
Stop messing about and get some money spent on it Chris... then I'll have it off you in a flash (what does it weigh btw)!

<edit>

Ooops forgot to add the smiley! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1252450' date='Jun 1 2011, 10:39 AM']Stop messing about and get some money spent on it Chris... then I'll have it off you in a flash (what does it weigh btw)!

<edit>

Ooops forgot to add the smiley! :)[/quote]

LOL, nice try. Weight wise this one's the heavier of the two John, although being small bodies they tend to be lighter than Precisions or Jazzes anyway (the other Jag is stupidly light, and I mean stupidly). I'll check it on the scales later on and get back to you.

Happy to upgrade it for you, I've a Badass II and a SD Quarterpounder P/J sitting around somewhere :)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1252490' date='Jun 1 2011, 11:12 AM']LOL, nice try. Weight wise this one's the heavier of the two John, although being small bodies they tend to be lighter than Precisions or Jazzes anyway (the other Jag is stupidly light, and I mean stupidly). I'll check it on the scales later on and get back to you.

Happy to upgrade it for you, I've a Badass II and a SD Quarterpounder P/J sitting around somewhere :)

C[/quote]
Odd how you can get two identical basses (especially modern ones) and they can differ so much in weight!

So... chuck the SD P/J pups and the Hipshots in the lightest one (you can keep the BA as I know what you are like with them and you'll need it for your next project :) ) and I'll have it... Oh and a nice fresh set of flats (pyramid golds if you please) clinches the deal! :lol:

[quote name='Beedster' post='1252422' date='Jun 1 2011, 10:13 AM']Having found myself looking at £150 PUPs on ebay last night and also considering a John East preamp, I think this baby had better go after all. It will otherwise cost me a bloody fortune (I've spent a couple of hundred on the other Jag as it is) :)

Wayne, if you want it, I owe you a favour, so we can negotiate on price (especially if you can collect it mate)!

Cheers

C[/quote]

Wish I could mate but no monies :)

Good luck buddy

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1252499' date='Jun 1 2011, 11:22 AM']Odd how you can get two identical basses (especially modern ones) and they can differ so much in weight![/quote]

Indeed, neither is heavy, but they do differ.

• 1 month later...

Now selling the second of my VM Jags, largely due to my recently acquired 4001. This one is VERY light (7.8lbs WITH a Badass so lighter still with stock bridge). Pocket is very tight, frets are perfect, and the stacked controls are far more versatile than the standard V/V/T. I can sell it for £175 stock, £225 with Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder P/J set [u]or[/u] Badass II, or £275 with Q/Ps [u]and[/u] Badass. I'll include original PUPs and bridge either way.

Hit me with trade options also

C

Edited by Beedster

• 4 months later...