Why become a member? ×

Modifying a standard bridge to an 8 string one

I've just bought myself an 8 string bass and I'm in the process of setting it up but I'm having a problem with the bridge.

Its one of these [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-8-string-CHROME-/220487550478?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item335615060e"]chunky ones[/url]

The problem is that I've lowered the saddles as low as they'll go but the strings are still higher than i like. I've straightened out the neck to see if it would help. It did to an extent but I still want it lower.

I've had an idea to use a standard Fender type one and simply drill another hole next to each of the 4 that are already there. I can get over the issue of having to create new grooves for the octave strings by using one of the old threaded style saddle bridges.

I have a cheapy bridge in front of me and I can lower the strings to where they should be with one of these - can anyone forsee any issues with doing this?

I've had a look at the Schaller and Wilkinson ones and they also stand too proud and I don't want to have to route the body to make the bridge sit lower.

The bass is a neck through one cos if it were a bolt on I would just have whipped the neck off and fired something in at the body end of the neck pocket to shift the pitch and get the strings closer to the body

Edited by Delberthot

Mmm! From the factory, it shouldn't be a problem - Shame.

It's not just the height issue - I have two 8 Strings and the thinner strings have a different
intonation to the thicker ones.
Being the the on the same saddle, means it may be slightly out.

Cheers. :)

The current bridge only has one saddle for each pair of strings and I don't plan on playing very high up on it so a 4 saddle bridge will be fine.

I want to get it sorted cos I don't like the strings that are on it but I don't want to put the new ones on until I can get the strings low enough.

I've got a set of Rickenbacker strings which are nice low tension to make it easier to fret. They're around £50 for a set so I want to make sure I can get the strings low enough before I fit them

Edited by Delberthot

I modded a cheap precision copy to eight string a while ago, and used the existing bridge with additional grooves cut in the saddles. There are some pictures of it here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98333&hl=eight"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98333&hl=eight[/url]

Because of the position of the intonation adjusting screws, the strings have to travel at a bit of an angle behind the saddles, and I needed quite deep grooves to stop them from popping out. So the grooves in a threaded saddle may not be deep enough to work well. Admittedly mine was a bit of a zero budget, quick and dirty job just to see if it would work. The intonation is a bit rough higher up, but not totally unusable.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1240904' date='May 22 2011, 09:57 PM']I modded a cheap precision copy to eight string a while ago, and used the existing bridge with additional grooves cut in the saddles. There are some pictures of it here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98333&hl=eight"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98333&hl=eight[/url]

Because of the position of the intonation adjusting screws, the strings have to travel at a bit of an angle behind the saddles, and I needed quite deep grooves to stop them from popping out. So the grooves in a threaded saddle may not be deep enough to work well. Admittedly mine was a bit of a zero budget, quick and dirty job just to see if it would work. The intonation is a bit rough higher up, but not totally unusable.[/quote]

Cool. If I decide to keep the bass (I'm already thinking about selling it) I may use the black bridge I have now as the strings enter the bridge quite low down so I've managed to get the intonation screws into those holes meaning that the string pairs will enter the back of the bridge side by side.

Cheers

Gah, I hate 8-string basses (and 12 string guitars) with only one saddle for each pair of strings. Manufacturers who do this should be banned from making instruments with multi-string courses.

Depends on how sensitive your ears are, but for me the strings sound too out of tune at the 7th fret and above if it's not possible to adjust the intonation separately on each string in the pair.

If it was me I'd either be sending the bass back as "unfit for purpose" or just get a good luthier to fit the Schaller 3D 8-string bridge.