Why become a member? ×

1991 James Jamerson Custom shop P Bass

Bassist

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1234906' date='May 17 2011, 09:18 PM']I tried one at New Kings Road Vintage Guitar Emporium a few years ago.
It was an ex-Bob Daisley example and was up for £2,000.[/quote]

[quote name='noelk27' post='1234931' date='May 17 2011, 09:27 PM']Mine sold on eBay around six or seven years ago, for less than a grand.[/quote]
I'd guess from just those two quotes alone that you can pluck a figure from thin air and it might be close! :)

If it is genuinely from the Fender Custom Shop (I've no idea if they did produce a 100 certificated items), then it's got to be at least greater than the lowest quoted figure... but what do I know as it doesn't begin with 'W'. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1234960' date='May 17 2011, 08:39 PM']If it is genuinely from the Fender Custom Shop (I've no idea if they did produce a 100 certificated items), then it's got to be at least greater than the lowest quoted figure... but what do I know as it doesn't begin with 'W'. :)[/quote]
It was a limited/tribute edition, commissioned by the Bass Centre, Los Angeles, from the Fender Custom Shop. The run consisted of 100 certificated pieces. Each bass came with a period correct case, accessories, and two certificates - one from the Fender Custom Shop, and one from the Bass Centre. A CS quality bass, but nothing special about it other than the engraved neckplate.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1234960' date='May 17 2011, 08:39 PM']If it is genuinely from the Fender Custom Shop ...[/quote]
In fact, there were two limited/tribute editions commissioned by the Bass Centre, and built by the Fender Custom Shop: the James Jamerson Precision Bass mentioned, and a Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass. Both runs were limited to 100 pieces.

Many thanks for everyones help.

I do have both certificates for the bass one from Fender & one from The Bass Centre.

I am not thinking of selling it at the moment but was wondering how much it should be insured for. As I have not seen one for sale before it is difficult to know how much to insure it for.

The only Fender Custom Shop '62 Precision I've seen that is closet to your JJ P is this one in New York at $4k...
[url="http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/956/Fender-Custom-Shop-62-Precision-Bass-Relic/"]http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/956/Fen...ion-Bass-Relic/[/url]
At today's exchange rate and factoring in imoprt duty, vat + handling charges and that's something like £3,100.

Cheers,
Jon