Why become a member? ×

For Sale Shergold Twin Neck

paulmcnamara

I have for sale my Shergold Twin Neck 6/4. It is in excellent condition and is circa 1982. It is complete and original, including Shergold hard case. The 6/4 is perhaps more difficult to come across than the 12/4 and this one has the lined wood running down the centre of both guitars: also quite rare. The set up on both necks is very good, and highly playable. Basically no issues at all. The asking price is £975.00 for a little British guitar history and a superb example of Shergold's craftmanship. I am open to sensible offers. I would prefer cash on collection. That way you get to try it out and can be completely happy before you buy. It saves paypal fees and shipping. However I can arrange insured shipping in the UK at buyers cost. If you would like any further details please PM me or email: [email protected]. Thanks. [url="http://img59.imageshack.us/g/dsc0015np.jpg/"]http://img59.imageshack.us/g/dsc0015np.jpg/[/url]

Edited by paulmcnamara

Hey Paul, are you the guy selling the Wal Mk II on walbassesnaturally? Welcome to BassChat! Is this the same Shergold that was FS in The Gallery? If so I think there may be one or two interested parties on BassChat as that bass was discussed in the forum - would probably help if you could let people know the weight.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1231727' date='May 15 2011, 10:42 AM']Hey Paul, are you the guy selling the Wal Mk II on walbassesnaturally? Welcome to BassChat! Is this the same Shergold that was FS in The Gallery? If so I think there may be one or two interested parties on BassChat as that bass was discussed in the forum - would probably help if you could let people know the weight.[/quote]

Hi Clarky, I remember your email re the Wal. Yes I am the same person selling the Wal. The Wal is now FS in the Gallery and the Shergold is on here! Regards weight: I have no way of weighing the Shergold at present so its difficult to say. Average compared to other double necks I've played is the best I can say. I'll have a look at the forum discussion to see if there is any light I can shed, or stuff I can learn re the Shergold.

Good wishes, Paul.

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1232159' date='May 15 2011, 04:43 PM']Love these Shergolds.
I had a twin neck 4 & 8 string basses circa 78/79 and they had great necks and a distinctive sound to match.

Good luck with sale.

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Thanks Dave.

Also selling Moog Taurus Bass Pedals..... see other thread close by. ATB Paul.

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1232159' date='May 15 2011, 04:43 PM']Love these Shergolds.
I had a twin neck 4 & 8 string basses circa 78/79 and they had great necks and a distinctive sound to match.

Good luck with sale.

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

I have a Shergold 4/8 here as well - yours the only other one I've ever heard of. What colour and config was yours?

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='toneknob' post='1232691' date='May 16 2011, 08:01 AM']I have a Shergold 4/8 here as well - yours the only other one I've ever heard of. What colour and config was yours?[/quote]

It was black with maple necks. Will check but think the 4 string was on the top.
I think it had single pick-ups but will check and try emailing a scanned copy of the photo.
Shergold didn't make an 8 string bass at that time. I think we are talking circa 1978/80 period. Was a while ago so might be out a year or so.
It cost me £630. I still have some photos of it.
Quite a heavy beast from memory although i was only 5'9" and 9.5 stone in those days.
Can't remember who i dealt with at the time but it was suggested using the shorter 6 string neck they had at the time and convert to 8 string.
If its same bass it will obviously have the shorter 8 string neck.
They went on to make full scale 8 string necks after this if my memory serves me correctly.
I traded it for an Aria SB1000 early 80's and have regretted selling since. More for sentimental reasons. It was my first venture into custom basses.

Cheers
Dave

PS If its same bass and you ever think about selling let me know. I'd be interested.

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1233018' date='May 16 2011, 01:42 PM']It was black with maple necks. Will check but think the 4 string was on the top.
I think it had single pick-ups but will check and try emailing a scanned copy of the photo.
Shergold didn't make an 8 string bass at that time. I think we are talking circa 1978/80 period. Was a while ago so might be out a year or so.
It cost me £630. I still have some photos of it.
Quite a heavy beast from memory although i was only 5'9" and 9.5 stone in those days.
Can't remember who i dealt with at the time but it was suggested using the shorter 6 string neck they had at the time and convert to 8 string.
If its same bass it will obviously have the shorter 8 string neck.
They went on to make full scale 8 string necks after this if my memory serves me correctly.
I traded it for an Aria SB1000 early 80's and have regretted selling since. More for sentimental reasons. It was my first venture into custom basses.

Cheers
Dave

PS If its same bass and you ever think about selling let me know. I'd be interested.[/quote]

So there's at least two of them out there! Mine is white. I've got a picture somewhere that I'll dig out later. It's a lot more basic in terms of electronics and hardware than my 12/4, so I suspect it's originally from the mid-70s, compared to the late 70s of the 12/4.

I've had some work done - the 8 neck was bowed in a way that the truss rod couldn't fix: it was fine above the 5th - 7th fret, but lower than that was unplayable - if exaggerated it'd look like the business end of a ski. This was caused by not letting the wood sit for long enough before gluing it - a common fault with this era and manufacturer, apparently. The repairer unglued the fingerboard vveerryy slowly and reset it once the wood had been given a chance to settle. Also, I had a new nut installed so I could reverse the sense of the tuning - the octave strings are now closer to the floor than the fundamentals, as I always play fingerstyle. If I sold the bass on I'd switch back. The 4-string neck is typical Shergold - plummy, woolly 70s rock.

I paid £450 for it in the early 2000s, maybe 2002 or 03. I've had a case made for its big brother (the 12/4 Custom Double), and this one inherited the hand-me-down case. I've had it valued and it's now insured for well above that value. The serial number is 8401. Shergold SNs were often (for double necks) made up of the two necks' string counts, then a production count. So my 8401 translates to 8-str, 4-str, and I've got instance "01". It's possible I may have the first 8/4, but I can't be certain. See [url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/serialnos.html"]http://www.shergold.co.uk/serialnos.html[/url] for a better description of this. (There are pics of the 12/4 on the "Genesis tribute bands" page of the Shergold site, btw).

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1234857' date='May 17 2011, 08:40 PM']Sorry Paul,
We seem to have hijacked your sale thread.
I've added a new post under "Gear Basses" with my Shergold photo.

Hope you get the bass sold soon

Cheers
Dave
:)[/quote]

No problem..... good to hear about your twin necks.

6/4 still available for sale.......

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='paulmcnamara' post='1232232' date='May 15 2011, 05:42 PM']Also selling Moog Taurus Bass Pedals..... see other thread close by. ATB Paul.[/quote]

You must have been a Genesis fan! double neck plus Bass pedals....

• 3 weeks later...