Why become a member? ×

Best order for pedals on a board, and which XLR to DI?

Clarky

Hi all, I have a couple of questions I am sure the mighty folk of BassChat can answer.

Firstly, I am using a Markbass F1 as a power amp for my DB via the effects return socket with a Baggs DI/ preamp in front of it. Which XLR should I use for DI to a venue's PA? The one on the Baggs preamp or the one on the F1?

Secondly I am setting up a basic pedalboard to go in front of the F1 for when I play electric bass. I have a Demeter Compulator (compressor) pedal, a Polytune tuner and a Sansamp. Which order should these go in ideally? And same question again, should I use the XLR on the Sansamp or on the F1 for DI purposes?

Many thanks in advance :)

Edited by Clarky

Hi Clarky,

I'd suggest trying all the DI's as they will likely all sound a little different (power amp will be Pre EQ, Pre amp will likely give you the option, and the sansamp has it's own flavour). You may find one of the DI's has a natural sound that better suits you so run with that. Have a play in the practise room through the PA.

As for the board, as it's relatively small it shouldnt make too much difference. I'd run the Polytune last as it will double as a mute switch. If you run I first, it may mute the bass, but not any additional noise the compressor or sansamp put in line. I'd suggest going into the sansamp 1st as that's going to boost/EQ a signal, which you can them compress when compression is required. Again I'd suggest the golden rule though... Try it both ways and see which sounds best to you!

Shep

Thanks Shep. The reason I assumed Sansamp last is the XLR output on that is next to the output lead socket and so if it was placed ahead of another pedal, the XLR would be inaccessible unless there was a large gap between the pedals ?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1231687' date='May 15 2011, 10:02 AM']Thanks Shep. The reason I assumed Sansamp last is the XLR output on that is next to the output lead socket and so if it was placed ahead of another pedal, the XLR would be inaccessible unless there was a large gap between the pedals ?[/quote]

That won't cause an issue if you find you prefer your amp's DI and don't use the Sandamp for that reason anyway. Also your assuming you have to lay out the pedals in the order they are connected... Which is not the case. You van have the sansamp last on the board, but 1st in the chain... It's the order of the cables that matters... That's where George L's come into there own!

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1231700' date='May 15 2011, 10:13 AM']You could put in your own short right angled XLR cable that can then be connected to the house XLR cable?[/quote]

Or that!

Remember though, if you send FOH a signal from your Sansamp but have your compressor in the chain after it, then your DI signal will be uncompressed.

Personally I would go into the Polytune first, then the Compulator and then the Sansamp. You can mute both your DI signal and your line signal to your amp by stepping on your tuner whereas if you had the tuner after the Sansamp you would always be heard through the PA no matter what (so if you change basses this will eliminate any popping coming through the PA and would allow totally silent tuning of course) and your signal will have the same original compression through both your amp and the FOH.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1231723' date='May 15 2011, 10:37 AM']Remember though, if you send FOH a signal from your Sansamp but have your compressor in the chain after it, then your DI signal will be uncompressed.

Personally I would go into the Polytune first, then the Compulator and then the Sansamp. You can mute both your DI signal and your line signal to your amp by stepping on your tuner whereas if you had the tuner after the Sansamp you would always be heard through the PA no matter what (so if you change basses this will eliminate any popping coming through the PA and would allow totally silent tuning of course) and your signal will have the same original compression through both your amp and the FOH.[/quote]
Thanks - I like this answer as its the simplest (and cheapest) cable-wise!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1231723' date='May 15 2011, 10:37 AM']Remember though, if you send FOH a signal from your Sansamp but have your compressor in the chain after it, then your DI signal will be uncompressed.

Personally I would go into the Polytune first, then the Compulator and then the Sansamp. You can mute both your DI signal and your line signal to your amp by stepping on your tuner whereas if you had the tuner after the Sansamp you would always be heard through the PA no matter what (so if you change basses this will eliminate any popping coming through the PA and would allow totally silent tuning of course) and your signal will have the same original compression through both your amp and the FOH.[/quote]

The FOH man may not want an already compressed signal as it may not mix in very well and then he is stuffed from making the band sound the best it can...