Why become a member? ×

Do TruBass strings feel less plastick-y with time?

Clarky

I've got TruBass strings on my '71 P/J fretless and on my newly acquired Herbie Flowers replica Jazz (made by BC's wesfinn). They sound fantastic through an amp but when played acoustically sound and feel plastick-y (yes I know they are supposed to be amplified but I practice without an amp usually, generally late at night). Question is, do they feel less plastick-y with time as they absorb air pollutants, sweat, oils etc, and become worn-in and smoother feeling like normal flatwounds? Or do they stay feeling as they do fresh out of the packet?

I've had a set on my Status Groove bass for about 3 years, and although I hardly play it, they still feel like they did the day I put them on, whih feels lke they've been on for ages, if you see what I mean! So if you want my opinion, no, they don't change (but like I said, they've hardly been played anyway)....so maybe they do change.....I've twisted myself into a rght knot there!

They do change, mine have become matte and rather good on my acoustic bass. However it is early days since they have only been on the bass from about 1980. They will also save you a fortune - they are still nice and elastic / springy / responsive. Do not seem to have become lifeless like some roundwounds do.

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1231313' date='May 14 2011, 07:59 PM']I've had a set on my Status Groove bass for about 3 years, and although I hardly play it, they still feel like they did the day I put them on, whih feels lke they've been on for ages, if you see what I mean! So if you want my opinion, no, they don't change (but like I said, they've hardly been played anyway)....so maybe they do change.....I've twisted myself into a rght knot there![/quote]
I understand .... I think :) Thanks mate!

[quote name='3below' post='1231326' date='May 14 2011, 08:03 PM']They do change, mine have become matte and rather good on my acoustic bass. However it is early days since they have only been on the bass from about 1980. They will also save you a fortune - they are still nice and elastic / springy / responsive. Do not seem to have become lifeless like some roundwounds do.[/quote]
So I only have to wait 31 years for them to soften up and become matte - thats alright then!

[quote name='Clarky' post='1231328' date='May 14 2011, 08:05 PM']So I only have to wait 31 years for them to soften up and become matte - thats alright then![/quote]

But think of the savings... whilst the 71 P bass will become even more vintage :)

I wonder if they have any lubricant / residue on them from the manufacturing process, both sets of TI flats I have put on had a slick 'plasticky' feel to them. The newest set has lost it after about 6 months. You could try wiping them with meths, fairly mild solvent, try a small section away from playing area, could try washing up liquid / Cif/Jif, small amount, with damp paper towel, slightly abrasive in latter case. I do recall them being 'slippy' when new as were those on someone else's bass I tried.