Why become a member? ×

Fretless Maple Precision neck

henry norton

Fender Fender Fender - hasn't anyone heard of Gibson, or Rickenbacker? Oh, their necks don't bolt on do they...

Anyway, I'm building a nice 2 piece maple fretless neck, that is, maple neck block with a seperate maple fingerboard attached (cut from the same slab of wood in this case), in order so's you don't get an unsightly skunk stripe down the back. It's to replace, or supplement a fairly valuable Precision maple fretted that has crossed that magic Fender line between plain 'old and not very good' to 'just a bit older and therefore classic and untouchable/unchangeable (there's usually an "amazing" thrown into the description at some point too)'.

The board will have the uber-tight 7.25 inch classic Fender radius, just to make it more difficult for me to float the 1mm epoxy coating on the top.

Here's a picture of the big slab of maple it started out as plus a pic of the neck with 2 way rod installed and fingerboard machined and matched ready to glue up. I've done a bit more but haven't taken any more pictures so watch out for the next episode.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1230486' date='May 13 2011, 09:57 PM']Here's a picture of the big slab of maple it started out as plus a pic of the neck with 2 way rod installed and fingerboard machined and matched ready to glue up. I've done a bit more but haven't taken any more pictures so watch out for the next episode.[/quote]

Are you making a Sue Ryder-style headstock there? :)

Edited by LawrenceH

Thanks for the comment Chris, always a pleasure hearing form you, although I heard you've given up your precisions and gone entirely DB. Are these vicious rumours true???

As for the headstock Lawrence, well, I'm waiting on the 'Cease and Desist' letter from Sue Ryder's solicitors as I write this post.

I've greased the truss rod threads and glued up the neck, cut the tuner holes and stuff. It's all just woodwork from here on so I won't bore anyone with posed pictures, but I might post a couple of in progress shots of the coating process if anyone would like to see how it works.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1234730' date='May 17 2011, 07:08 PM']Thanks for the comment Chris, always a pleasure hearing form you, although I heard you've given up your precisions and gone entirely DB. Are these vicious rumours true???[/quote]

No, the temporary lack of a maple fretless Precision chez Beedster has recently been resolved :)

• 2 weeks later...

I s'pose a nice ebony board feels a bit more inviting and tactile. Maple boards, especially the polyester coated Fenders tend to be quite hard and shiny feeling in comparison but all in all it doesn't make that much difference. The main thing about a maple board is how fekkin' cool it looks. People think you're more of a pro with a maple fretless :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='1261187' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:49 PM']People think you're more of a pro with a maple fretless :)[/quote]

I think that's what I meant! It looks way harder to play than an ebony neck and I can think of absolutely no reason why. Am looking forward to the epoxy 'how to' thread should you ever get round to it. Got a neck on the way to me that I'm going to try it out on.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1261187' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:49 PM']I s'pose a nice ebony board feels a bit more inviting and tactile. Maple boards, especially the polyester coated Fenders tend to be quite hard and shiny feeling in comparison but all in all it doesn't make that much difference. The main thing about a maple board is how fekkin' cool it looks. People think you're more of a pro with a maple fretless :)[/quote]

I can't tell you how many people ask questions of my maple fretless at gigs, I'm sure most would otherwise be completely disinterested in a bass. The lack of frets is certainly highlighted on a maple board far more so than on a rosewood or ebony board, which perhaps explains it. And yes, they do look harder to play for some reason, although they're not

[quote name='henry norton' post='1260320' date='Jun 7 2011, 09:31 PM']Here's the neck done other than the nut slot. It's now winging its' way to Scandinavia. As I had a fair amount of interest in an epoxy coating 'how to' I figured I should do a seperate build thread so as to maximise its' exposure.[/quote]

WOW that looks amazing - would look stunning on my elm jazz body when i finally get it all cut! :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1273483' date='Jun 18 2011, 09:34 AM']WOW that looks amazing - would look stunning on my elm jazz body when i finally get it all cut! :)[/quote]
Thanks! Actually the first bass I made was a maple fretless jazz with a light coloured wood body and a tort guard. It was the coolest looking bass ever :)