Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

difference in scratchplate quality?

gub

Just thinking of getting a torty one for my new purchase but seems to be a big price difference with origanal fender ones being around £40 and other ones at about £12 , is the difference in money worth it do you think ? screw holes lining up etc and would a fender one only fit a mia or would it also fit a mij? any help would be mucho goodo :)

I got my Dad to make me one from a blank piece of tort that cost about £10 (loads spare after too). Sure it wasn't as neat as the expensive ones but it looked fine, could only see the rough edges from a few inches away.

Regarding the Fender ones - they'll be good but not £28 better than the one for £12. Personally i'd go for the cheap one unless you want an 'all original parts' bass and don't care how much it costs.

All depends how fussy you are on how good the fake tortoise shell looks. Cheap ones can almost look like a poor print whereas expensive can be worth it is they look a lot nicer. And as the change is for looks then worth considering.

Edited by kerley

I bought one of these on ebay last week:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jazz-bass-std-pickguard-3ply-brown-tortoise-fits-fender-/110633297858?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19c24227c2"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jazz-bass-std-pickgu...=item19c24227c2[/url]
It fits perfectly on my squier classic vibe jazz bass, I think it's based on an MIM '62 re-issue, so would obvioulsy fit fenders too.
I thought the cheaper ones (around £10) looked a bit cheap (sometimes too red etc), and the Fender ones seem overpriced, so I thought this was a nice happy medium.

[quote name='kerley' post='1229858' date='May 13 2011, 12:44 PM']All depends how fussy you are on how good the fake tortoise shell looks. Cheap ones can almost look like a poor print whereas expensive can be worth it is they look a lot nicer. And as the change is for looks then worth considering.[/quote]

This...

I have seen a few cheaper prints and they didn't work at all.
I paid £70 for mine and I have no compunction saying that it was worth it, IMO. It was a custom fit, tho..

Some of the prints are very nasty looking..you get what you pay for.
I don't say you have to pay what I did...but you REALLY need to see them, IMV..so you can work out what is worth what
to you. IMV.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='bassfunk' post='1229862' date='May 13 2011, 12:47 PM']I bought one of these on ebay last week:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jazz-bass-std-pickguard-3ply-brown-tortoise-fits-fender-/110633297858?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19c24227c2"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jazz-bass-std-pickgu...=item19c24227c2[/url]
It fits perfectly on my squier classic vibe jazz bass, I think it's based on an MIM '62 re-issue, so would obvioulsy fit fenders too.
I thought the cheaper ones (around £10) looked a bit cheap (sometimes too red etc), and the Fender ones seem overpriced, so I thought this was a nice happy medium.[/quote]

I've just bought red tort guards from them for my jazz and my strat - I'm still waiting for postie to bring them though. Are you happy with yours?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1229874' date='May 13 2011, 12:56 PM']I've just bought red tort guards from them for my jazz and my strat - I'm still waiting for postie to bring them though. Are you happy with yours?[/quote]

Yeah I am, I bought the squier 2nd hand the previous owner had removed the tort plate and put a white one on. I decided I wanted a tort one back on. The new tort one arrived a week after ordering (it comes from the Netherlands) and fits much better than the white one. I had to slot it in just under the control plate for it to fit flush, whereas the previous one had a bit of a gap.