Why become a member? ×

Mixing and Layering

badboy1984

[quote name='badboy1984' post='1228792' date='May 12 2011, 01:40 PM']The panning advice is good, i will certainly try it again tonight.

Maybe i hoping too much on GR4 ...... should just spend the money on a small tube guitar combo instead .......[/quote]

That'd be a good start - another tip is to get a valve amp of low wattage - anything from 5w to 30w for recording. You DO NOT need masses of volume for recording and for this reason, amps have now been created to drive valves at low volumes. You'd be surprised how loud 30watts sound in a home environment. A good mic to use would be an SM57 - there are better mics out there but this would be a relatively cheap option.
Placement of the mic can make a lot of difference - distance from the amp too. It really is all about experimenting and seeing what it right for you sound and songs.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='1228807' date='May 12 2011, 01:50 PM']That'd be a good start - another tip is to get a valve amp of low wattage - anything from 5w to 30w for recording. You DO NOT need masses of volume for recording and for this reason, amps have now been created to drive valves at low volumes. You'd be surprised how loud 30watts sound in a home environment. A good mic to use would be an SM57 - there are better mics out there but this would be a relatively cheap option.
Placement of the mic can make a lot of difference - distance from the amp too. It really is all about experimenting and seeing what it right for you sound and songs.[/quote]
yup. the fender champ is pretty good at £100 odd quid.

I will give the amplitube a try as well.

By the way i sorted out the distortion issue on the ipod. I end up EQ the distortion guitar and adjust the distortion etc, so it doesn't muff up the sound.

But still not the greatist distortion sound but it can be heard in the mix. 4 layer of the distortion but still sounded thin. i think i need to mess around with the EQ to find the sweet spot.

Edited by badboy1984

Here is the demo of the song.

[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7GM23AXM"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7GM23AXM[/url]

The drum and guitar don't kick in till around 2.40 ish i think.

Couldn't get the distortion guitar right. So advice on the other instrument mixing would help as well

By the way the song is in chinese ........

i'm still new to all this stuff ......

[quote name='badboy1984' post='1231660' date='May 15 2011, 09:29 AM']Here is the demo of the song.

[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7GM23AXM"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7GM23AXM[/url]

The drum and guitar don't kick in till around 2.40 ish i think.

Couldn't get the distortion guitar right. So advice on the other instrument mixing would help as well

By the way the song is in chinese ........

i'm still new to all this stuff ......[/quote]

Doesn't sound that bad, however it sounds like the drums have been panned left to right when they should be in the middle of the mix and the guitars should be panned but are in the middle of the mix. Swap this round and it will improve it a lot I reckon.

[quote name='badboy1984' post='1231816' date='May 15 2011, 11:56 AM']which guitar? Acoustic or Electric? The electric have 3 layer, one is left, right and centre. Acoustic just one in the middle.[/quote]

Electric - and thats your problem, remove the centre track and slightly boost the left and right track. The drums should only have one centre track.