Why become a member? ×

Adding Dot Inlays to a Squier VM fretless ebanol board

Hi BCers,

I've been modding my Squier VM fretless and I'm looking for some info regarding drilling into an ebanol board as I want to add dot inlays. Basically my question is this - has anyone actually had the experience of drilling into an ebanol board? I realise the properties may be somewhat different to ebony or rosewood for example but can anyone offer first hand experience of this or perhaps offer some insight as to what problems, if any, might be encountered?

Here's what I've done so far - I replaced the cheap crappy electrics with decent CTS & Switchcraft units, added an old .05 cap off a 50's Tele and went for a series/parallel push-pull set-up, fitted a Gotoh 301, added a fake grounding strip, tort pickguard, pull bar, Fender style JB knobs, bridge pup cover and, the most controversial item of all, a repro '62 Fender Jazz Bass headstock decal *ducks for cover*

The only thing missing is the dot inlays on the face of the board, so this got me thinking about how it would actually look without going through the process of drilling the board and possibly hating the result (Or ruining the board!)

As the saying goes, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention", so I came up with an idea - I got a bunch of paper circles from a hole punch at work and laid them on the face of the board and it looks pretty good! Fair enough they're really bright white but, as a rough indication of appearance, I think they work. :)

I've added a "Before & After" comparison pic of the bass just to let you see what I've done. The "After" pic has the hole punch bits on the board so you can see what I mean.

[attachment=79267:Fretless...ison_001.JPG]

Thanks in advance for any and all info received.

Cheers,
JDJ

Edited by johnDeereJack

since they are going to be between the A 7 D strings I'd be more inclined to go with stickers on the surface. You'd probably still feel them a bit but they wouldn't get in the way of the strings and completely reversible should you want to return it to stock.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1223818' date='May 8 2011, 12:56 AM']since they are going to be between the A 7 D strings I'd be more inclined to go with stickers on the surface. You'd probably still feel them a bit but they wouldn't get in the way of the strings and completely reversible should you want to return it to stock.[/quote]

I'm planning to have them up the board at the usual places - 3, 5, 7, 9, two at 8ve, 15, 17 & 19 - so they'll be between all 4 strings and I've got no plans to revert it back to 'stock' at any point. I've come this far and I have absolutely no plans to sell it. If I was to do that it would be listed as a 'modified' fretless Vintage Modified Squier! :)

Worst case scenario - I ruin the board by drilling holes in it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just fitted a set of dots to an ex-fretless P bass neck, which has been fretted !
Nice set of black dots into a maple neck...take a nice sharp 6mm drill bit, mark carefully and drill to a depth of 4mm then smooth off any sticking up with a scraper !! couple of coats of clear coat...job done !
Dave