Why become a member? ×

Band Name Registration / Graphic Design

charic

As per title really.

Do we really need to register our band name somewhere? If so how do we actually go about it? Theres a couple of websites but I don't know if theyre actually official.

Also if anyone is interested in doing logo design then I am currently looking for someone to do a 'proper' version of my somewhat amateur attempt in photoshop.

A: Because I can't upscale it
B: Because I'm sure it can be made better than it is although the essence of what I want is on the design.

Cheers all!

You don't need to register your band name as such, but it may help a little in the event of a dispute as it will give you absolute, cast iron proof that you've been using that name from the date it was registered.

Having said that, a registered name means jack if it's not being used and a myspace account will achieve the same thing plus keep a record of any gigs you've been doing. It's also for more likely to be searched by other bands looking to see if the name is being used. You can trademark your band name, but it's an expensive business (despite the fact that at first glance it seems cheap - the registration is just the beginning of the process).

When bands get into a legal dispute over the band name the courts will look at it's use as an article of trade - how much money a band is making and how much that trade is affected by someone else using that name in a similar field of business. Who was using it first can be of secondary interest, especially when you're looking at an unknown band. When Dirty Pretty Things started up, a band with the same name from the West Country that had been going years were furious and started legal proceedings and initiated trademarking the name. I never followed up what happened in the end, but suffice to say Carl Baret's mob are still using the name.

Personally I'd just register the band name with every social networking site out there, register the domain and hope that anyone else that fancies using it has more sense.

Thanks musky that made a lot of sense. I'm already registered via:
Gmail
Myspace
Facebook
BandCamp

Still have to set up:
Soundcloud
Domain

From what you wrote I think I'm going to bypass registering the band name as such. No one has it yet (anywhere) which is quite surprising :)

Register the .com domain, costs about a tenner a year. That way, if someone nicks the name it won't be so sad if they become ultra successful because you might be able to sell it on to them for a bit of their wealth :)