Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN: Wilkes 4 string fretless with slap plates

purpleblob

WITHDRAWN

For Sale: I have a red Wilkes four string unlined fretless with slap plates.

This is a lovely bass in extremely good condition (esp. given it's age). I've owned it since the late 80's possibly 1990 I cannot recall the exact date. It has never been gigged and in all honesty I've rarely played it in all those years so it really is in fantastic condition (it's basically sat at the back of my office for something like 26-30 years. I suffer the awful habit of not being able to let things go even when they're no longer used, you should see all the pointless cables I have sat in a box next to my desk :)).

The only blemish that I can see on this instrument is a very small and light indentation on the back of the neck near where the fourth fret position would be but other than that, the paint works in A1 condition, it's electronics (which are passive) are all smooth and working perfectly and the fingerboard is in better condition than any of my other fretlesses in fact it almost looks brand new. The neck varnish (no cracking from what I can see) has aged beautifully giving that golden colour that you get after time and it's fitted with strap locks, I think they schaller.

So why am I letting this go after all these years ? Well, I've moved house recently and now all my gear is in one place I see several instruments and bits of gear that are effectively just taking up space and never get used. This one has a lot of sentimental value, but as can be seen by its condition, just isn't used at all.

I don't have a gig bag for this as I'm pretty sure it came in a cardboard boxed when I bought it and therefore don't want to post this. I'd therefore prefer collection, I'm based in Surrey. I do occasionally frequent Guildford/Woking areas, but also currently work in London (near Tate Modern/St. Pauls) so would be prepared to meet up at any of these locations if this would help anyone.

Additional information: With regards the weight of this instrument. Unfortunately all I have is a set of bathroom scales (so please take this is a guidance not exact measurement of weight) and it appears this instrument weighs in at 4.4kg.

I'm not sure what these currently go for as I've not seen too many for sale so I'm going to put a price of £270 on this one.

[attachment=78738:CIMG4585.JPG][attachment=78739:CIMG4588.JPG]
[attachment=78742:CIMG4592.JPG][attachment=78741:CIMG4590.JPG]
[attachment=78740:CIMG4589.JPG]

EDIT: Spelling mistake and added the weight information.

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='E sharp' post='1216911' date='May 1 2011, 09:20 PM']I'm surprised this has lasted the day . Great price - don't really need it , or I would .

Free bump .[/quote]
If any of you guys are interested I will be selling a black version circa '86 hopefully next week, had it from new, very slightly road worn ( few marks, body only) as it was my main instument back in the late'80's still plays beautifully, custom spec, Ebony quarter lined fingerboard, and has original case!
GazzBass

[quote name='GazzBass' post='1219962' date='May 4 2011, 03:31 PM']If any of you guys are interested I will be selling a black version circa '86 hopefully next week, had it from new, very slightly road worn ( few marks, body only) as it was my main instument back in the late'80's still plays beautifully, custom spec, Ebony quarter lined fingerboard, and has original case!
GazzBass[/quote]

Possibly you'd like to start your own For Sale thread for that ?

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1220045' date='May 4 2011, 05:03 PM']Guys many thanks for the positive comments. I've had some enquiries but so far nothing definite. To be honest I'm more than happy to keep it, but it does seem a shame leaving it unplayed.[/quote]

Hi Purplebob,
Showing the world my "newbieness" I thought you had your Wilkes sold buddy, as I would'nt have mentioned mine! a thousand apologies!!!
GazzBass