Why become a member? ×

Which Preamp?

Hector

Hi all,

Been making a bit of cash gigging, and I've cobbled enough to buy a preamp, and was wondering which you guys would recommend? I'm primarily using this for making my tone a bit more refined/defined (I use a shadow nanoflex pickup with the little bridge-mounted pre that comes with this, so don't have any impedance matching issues), but would also like a HPF to cut out some of the mud from my live tone, and a way of controlling feedback. Would be useful for when I'm not able to play though my own rig, so can dial in a tone that I can be happy with and have DI out for when I play pit gigs. I'd also like to use this with electric bass, but dual-channel capability is a bonus rather than a dealbreaker (I don't have a ton of doubling gigs, but wouldn't mind blending a hypothetical "mic that I'd one day own" with a pickup signal).I have about £200 to spare, but that's my upper limit.

Have been looking at the Fishman Platinum Pro, and it looks fantastic, but am also tempted by the Headway EDB-1. Is the EDB-1 £70 better in terms of sounds/features? What else is there on the market?

Which pres do you recommend?

H

The Fishman works really well, especially the phase reversal switch for cancelling feedback. The eq is versatile and the depth control helps to replace any bottom end lost when eqing out those pesky feedback frequencies. It only has one input though, so you won't be able to use it for doubling. Having said that, on my doubling gigs, I run the Fishman-EUB into the effects return and the electric bass into the regular input on my LMII.

I've been using a Fishman Pro (cheaper than the plat) for the last ten years and wouldn't be without it. Headway is good too but for use simply as a preamp from a pickup I think it's over-complicated. I use it to deliver phantom power to a mic tho'. If you want to come up to Chipping Norton you could have a go on both.

I really liked the LR Baggs Para DI. It has a permanent high-pass filter (designed for acoustic guitar boom) that works well, and some eq..but not voiced with bass in mind specifically. The only thing that is a pain is the tuner output, which is a stereo jack/loop setup, so you can't just take a mono jack cable to the tuner..it has to return.

However, my favourite is the Orchid Electronics muting DI - cheap, simple and sounds like what you plug into it. Also runs on phantom power, and lets you silently mute/unmute your bass on stage with a discreet foot tap.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1215894' date='Apr 30 2011, 03:52 PM']However, my favourite is the Orchid Electronics muting DI - cheap, simple and sounds like what you plug into it. Also runs on phantom power, and lets you silently mute/unmute your bass on stage with a discreet foot tap.[/quote]

What's the input impedance on the Orchid? I couldn't find the rating on the website. All of the preamps I use seem to be 1 megohm. From what I've read a higher input impedance seems to help piezo pickups, but most on the market are only 1 megohm.

[quote name='TPJ' post='1216719' date='May 1 2011, 05:52 PM']What's the input impedance on the Orchid? I couldn't find the rating on the website. All of the preamps I use seem to be 1 megohm. From what I've read a higher input impedance seems to help piezo pickups, but most on the market are only 1 megohm.[/quote]

From memory its 1 Meg...but best email John@ Orchid to confirm? I asked him about it a few years ago, and he said that once you get really high input impedance it can start to cause other problems such as noise and "scratchiness" when the input jack gets a bit dirty. Most modern pickups seem to be a lot more tolerant - my Realist sounds ok straight into most amps...but a bit better with a preamp in between. My old Fishman BP100 sounds dreadful without some form of preamp help..and then needs a fair bit of EQ.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and the kind offer from Roger. Sadly, Chipping Norton is a bit of a trek for me, given I'm quite busy with work at the mo. Have placed an order for the Fishman Plat. Pro, since it seems to provide everything I need in one package (and realistically, I'm not going to be wanting to power or blend a mic into my signal in the forseeable future). Should be here next week :)