Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Mikro vs Cort Action Junior

macb3th

hello folks as the title suggests, i am looking for some advice to help choose between these short scale basses.

both seem like a good size for me & both are around the same price. unfortunately i will not be able to try before buying so any input is appreciated :)

thanks in advance

[quote name='macb3th' post='1215192' date='Apr 29 2011, 06:25 PM']hello folks as the title suggests, i am looking for some advice to help choose between these short scale basses.

both seem like a good size for me & both are around the same price. unfortunately i will not be able to try before buying so any input is appreciated :)

thanks in advance[/quote]

As Cort make a lot of guitars/basses for Ibanez, I guess it's down to personal preference.
The Ibanez, being a 2 pick-up jobby is likely to be a bit more flexible.

yeah, back in, sold the ray34 a while back... just got the cort action junior this morning & very happy with it so far.. little bit of buzz on E string (something i could fix myself?) apart from that, sounds great to me :)

Good to know it sounds good as I have one coming this week. For some reason I just prefer short scales as I just feel less stretched (I haven't got small hands or short arms)
What is the weight of it like, is the body smaller that a full scale or have they just put a short neck on a 'standard' body size?

As for the fret buzz. Could just need a truss rod tweak if the neck is very straight or possibly just raise the E string saddle a bit? Both are very DIY so worth trying. If they don't work then the frets may not be level which is possibly not so DIY...

Edited by kerley

The Cort Action Series basses are very good for the money,very well made and comfortable play. I had the full sized five string and it was superb. I've been on the look out for one of these myself, but they don't come up second-hand often though. Probably a good bass to upgrade the pickup on and maybe an internal preamp?

[quote name='macb3th' post='1227408' date='May 11 2011, 12:35 PM']weight is light, very comfortable & size is pretty much the same size as my electric. the tone control offers a good variation too[/quote]

Thanks. Picked mine up on way to work so haven't tuned it/set it up yet but it does appear very well made for the low price. Very nice thin neck too and like the overall feel of it.

Better stop myself buying a replacement pickup until I have at least plugged it in though...

[quote name='kerley' post='1227516' date='May 11 2011, 01:45 PM']Thanks. Picked mine up on way to work so haven't tuned it/set it up yet but it does appear very well made for the low price. Very nice thin neck too and like the overall feel of it.

Better stop myself buying a replacement pickup until I have at least plugged it in though...[/quote]

wise decision, no point changing pups if you don't have to :)

how are you liking the bass?

Loving it. Managed to get the action under 2mm with no buzz (I can't live with action above 2mm!) Lowered the nut slots slightly to help with this but I always find nuts are cut too high meaning hardwork to fret on the first couple of frets.
Definitely is a nicely put together bass for little money and the think neck is perfect for me.

Can't find any negatives yet but have only had for a few days. I will probably swap out the pickup anyway as I just can't leave my basses alone and if the bass plays and feels as nicely as this then worth getting teh best possible sound. (although more expensive pickups can just sound different rather than better but a risk I will probably take)

I've got one of those little Action Jr basses too, it's surprisingly decent for the money!

I've only managed to get the action down to 3mm thus far, but I'm working on it. I'd agree that the nut is cut a little high too but I haven't dared mess with that yet.

The neck is a bit too slim for my tastes, but it actually has a fairly usable and even sound, balances well and weighs in at less than 7lbs!

The nut was easily sorted. Rolled up sand paper and a 20 seconds of sanding (couple of checks in between) and much better. No need for nut files as only lowered about 1mm. I have to do this on most basses as for some reason the nuts are never cut low enough. Not sure of the reason for this as be easy enough to use nuts that are 1mm lower as standard and makes fretting the first few frets so much easier.
Are there any players who would actually prefer a high nut??