Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz SHUTTLE 9.0 Limit LED on

JPWebb

Just to compare notes with other shuttle 9.0 users, the limit LED flashes furiously even though the master volume never gets above ten o'clock. Then as soon as I give my guitar some "welly" the amp starts clipping. I currently send the output of my multi effects into the output stage of the amp. When I try reducing the output level of the effects unit and turning up the master volume I get more of the same. As for using the input stage, well that's another story, just far too easily overdriven.. the over-load LED screams at me every time I get close to a sound that I like. Then I read the manual and it tells me that I might "desire" an overdriven sound.. well.. not yet mate! more frustration. An active bass shouldn't really over-load the input of a top class amp should it? I hope that I'm only missing a trick or two that someone can help me with.

Any tips (from shuttle 9.0 users) would be gratefully received, thanks

I'm using 2 x AE112 bergs, a sandberg california bass and a line 6 pod xt live. Also I'm in a LOUD four piece band with a drummer who is not going to get any quieter!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1214840' date='Apr 29 2011, 01:22 PM']Ignore the LEDs. Only worry about it if the limit LED is on most of the time. If it sounds good, it is good.[/quote]

Yep +1

Also by the sounds of things your already sending a lot of gain in from an active bass and a pedal board, Where is your input gain at? Sounds to me like you need to lower the gain but keep the volume the same (both of mine are at 12 oclock but with no effects at all) ,play it so the input o/l is just flashing when you give it some welly then use the master volume to suit the room and without the clip led coming on much if at all.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1214871' date='Apr 29 2011, 01:44 PM']Yep +1

Also by the sounds of things your already sending a lot of gain in from an active bass and a pedal board, Where is your input gain at? Sounds to me like you need to lower the gain but keep the volume the same (both of mine are at 12 oclock but with no effects at all) ,play it so the input o/l is just flashing when you give it some welly then use the master volume to suit the room and without the clip led coming on much if at all.[/quote]
Thanks that sounds simple! I like simple.. The best bit of advice in a way is to mostly ignore the LED's. I've got perhaps a bit of experimenting to do with and without the pedal though. I don't really do technical, I'd rather just play, but I suppose it's not too late to learn..

Thanks again for all the quick replies

[quote name='JPWebb' post='1215021' date='Apr 29 2011, 03:33 PM']Thanks that sounds simple! I like simple.. The best bit of advice in a way is to mostly ignore the LED's. I've got perhaps a bit of experimenting to do with and without the pedal though. I don't really do technical, I'd rather just play, but I suppose it's not too late to learn..

Thanks again for all the quick replies[/quote]

Im the most simple guy on BC mate If I can work my 6.0 you can get that 9.0 pumping trust me :) Report back.

I use mine with gain at 12 o'clock and (preamp) volume between 3 o'clock and max. I also use a active bass and a pedalboard with a bit of gain boost and never saw the lim LED on! Maybe you're digging too much on your bass (i'm a light-hand player) or have the pickups too close to the strings! Try turning the volume of the bass a bit down.
I play with a single 12"er and never got the master volume passed 11 - 12 o'clock.

That confirms my suspicions about the pedal board giving it the extra gain, Mine are both at 12 oclock without a pedal board of any type. I get just a hint of colour coming in from the valve at that so with any extra gain from other inputs you would have to work backwards from 12 on the gain to compensate. With the extra power of the 9.0 over the 6.0 you could get away with them knobs right down and it should be loud and clear :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1215035' date='Apr 29 2011, 03:55 PM']I use mine with gain at 12 o'clock and (preamp) volume between 3 o'clock and max. I also use a active bass and a pedalboard with a bit of gain boost and never saw the lim LED on! Maybe you're digging too much on your bass (i'm a light-hand player) or have the pickups too close to the strings! Try turning the volume of the bass a bit down.
I play with a single 12"er and never got the master volume passed 11 - 12 o'clock.[/quote]
Good point about the pickups! I've altered the height a few turns and there is an improvement already. Thanks. I'm now off to look up the word "tweak" :lol:lol!

• 7 months later...

Mmm.. Shuttle 9.0 with 2 x ae112? Aren't the ae112 cabs rated at 350 watts each? I'd looked at the 9.0 over the 6 a while a go because of its enhanced bass output, but stayed away as I only have the one ae112 and didn't want to blow it. Was I worrying to much?

Edited by tonyclaret

That's not an issue, i drive two Rumble 112 250W cabs with my suttle 9.0 but at decent levels so the cabs are completely safe!

I think i should mention that the power amp in the shuttle 9.0's isn't realy 900W, i think everybody knows that! In fact the same power amp is equipping the TH500 that is stated to have 500W! This is from what i've picked up on the web, if there's a more reliable opinion out there please correct me!

Going back to the OP after starting to gig with my new band my limiter LED started to light up often so i added a second cab to the amp making it waork at 4Ohms and the LED never lid up againg since. I would prefer a single cab solution but for now i'm perfectly heppy with my 12's (9,5kg each).