Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass pickup sizes

thisnameistaken

I noticed recently that my Squier Jazz has two pickups that are the same size, I think they're both bridge-sized pickups. I remember my last Jazz (a USA model) had two slightly differently-sized pickups.

Anyone know if there's a standard for this sort of thing - are Fender's USA Jazzes always different sized pickups? What about Mexican models? Japanese? More 'upmarket' Squiers like the VM and CV models?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1212756' date='Apr 27 2011, 03:51 PM']Apart from your particular Squier model, I've only other Fender jazzes to have equal sized pickups have been early Mex ones. I reckon all recent Fenders and Squiers will have the USA type sizes where the bridge pickup will be slightly longer.[/quote]
The Squier CV Jazz certainly has the two sizes - bridge slightly wider.

Well I recently found out that not all jazz pups are the same, I bought some cream pickup covers to go on my wizard 64s, not from wizard though (Probably should've asked them first come to think of it). They got here, actually seem to fit in the bass better than the wizards did...Anywho, when it came to putting the 64s in the new covers, they didn't fit! I had to sand the holes for the pole pieces in the new covers before the 64s would fit! Still, well worth it, now my VMJ looks simply devine! Cream covers, cream strat knobs, black control plate + black pickguard...Match made in heaven!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1215027' date='Apr 29 2011, 03:41 PM']Seems odd that they're producing the standard Squiers in a different config doesn't it?[/quote]

Cause it's cheaper to produce.

The bridge pickup should be a tad wider with the magnets further apart to accomodate the string taper from nut to bridge. Stuff like this does t matter when you have to sell it for as little as possible.0

• 2 years later...

Hello, I'm wondering if someone here can help me,

I have a 92 mex jazz that i've just bought. It plays lovely, but I'm thinking I might change the pickups. However they are both the same size.

Would I be alright buying two bridge pickups to do the same job? Or are the bridge/neck pickups actually configured differently for their respective sounds?

Any help greatly appreciated!

:) h

Edited by Harrythebassdawg

haha... ok well two neck ones then...which ever it is, but you get the drift of my question?

I'm guessing it's fine to have two the same, but other than size, I'm just wondering if they are sometimes built to different specifications to suit the neck or bridge positions.

Edited by Harrythebassdawg