Why become a member? ×

I'd be wary of this eBay seller!

warwickhunt

The listing for a Streamer ( [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150213380711&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=005[/url] ) looked a bit suspect so I asked about cash on collection. I got a message back saying that as his wife would be at home by herself so he'd rather not have anyone calling around... sounds reasonable BUT!

If you were concerned about your wife's safety would you be telling a stranger that your wife was home-alone (I could 'easily' establish his registered address)!
He has sold 12 Warwick basses in the last month... all from home.
He has a whole host of music shop items listed.
Lo-and-behold the bidding developed the usual shill bidding pattern with a retracted bid in the last 10 minutes.

Judge for yourself; I'm not saying that the seller is some kind of thief/scammer but I'd be wary of bidding on any pricy items.

I'll let you know when (or if) my cables arrive...

He told me the same - I didn't relay it to BC though. Not sure about easily establishing his registered address, if he hasn't registered with a full address then you can't find it. He does seem to have a fair bit of feedback from different buyers too. I agree that bidder 3 does show the signs of a shill bid as s/he cancelled a winning bid to leave the winning bid pushed quite a bit up.

[quote name='tauzero' post='138294' date='Feb 11 2008, 04:51 PM']I'll let you know when (or if) my cables arrive...

He told me the same - I didn't relay it to BC though. Not sure about easily establishing his registered address, if he hasn't registered with a full address then you can't find it. He does seem to have a fair bit of feedback from different buyers too. I agree that bidder 3 does show the signs of a shill bid as s/he cancelled a winning bid to leave the winning bid pushed quite a bit up.[/quote]

As I say I'm sure your cables will arrive but it's his antics with the shill bidding that makes me wary of bidding on his larger value items. If you place a bid on an item you can request an address from eBay even if you haven't won the item. Someone did it to me (fair enough they were going to bid on a £1000 bass and wanted to be sure of me) and I only wised up because eBay also transmit the requesters address to the seller. I accept that at least I had my full and proper address registered with eBay so I kind of made that assumption that he would to.

[quote]Let's see... just over the winning bidder was the wrong amount but just UNDER the winning bid is the right amount![/quote]

That's exactly what I thought.

To me it looks like a high bid has been put in by bidder3 but 10 mins before the end, when no one has outbid them they have retracted their bid. Thats not a problem though because now they know the winning bidders highest bid and can force the bidding up.

[quote name='markytbass' post='138481' date='Feb 11 2008, 09:26 PM']That's exactly what I thought.

To me it looks like a high bid has been put in by bidder3 but 10 mins before the end, when no one has outbid them they have retracted their bid. Thats not a problem though because now they know the winning bidders highest bid and can force the bidding up.[/quote]

You got it in one! I've had this done to me when I've bid on things in the past; even though it was what I had bid and I wouldn't have minded paying that in a decent auction I have on occasion refused to pay and said that I'd ask eBay to investigate if a seller pushed it. Cut off nose to spite face... maybe!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='138550' date='Feb 11 2008, 11:16 PM']You got it in one! I've had this done to me when I've bid on things in the past; even though it was what I had bid and I wouldn't have minded paying that in a decent auction I have on occasion refused to pay and said that I'd ask eBay to investigate if a seller pushed it. Cut off nose to spite face... maybe![/quote]
Trouble is that you can't see who Bidder 3 is and there's no way of telling whether the 20 minutes he took to withdraw the bid were the 20 minutes he spent trying to talk his other half down from the roof when he told her he was about to spend 800 quid on a bass.

Of course ebay won't change the system because they get higher FVFs like this, but a fairer system would be to say that a cancelled bid cancels all of the bidder's bids. Then any suspicious activity is much clearer. If all Bidder 3's bids got cancelled and then he put in a bid of 795, it would be rather obvious that something was going on. His other auctions don't seem to have any suspicious bidding on them.

BTW, the cables have just got here. :)

It's also like the old 2nd chance offer, Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I bid on a Land Rover some years ago and was out bid. The winning bidder backed out. Now if memory serves me correct (which it doesn't always) the price droped down to the next highest bid, which was me. My argument was that the winner backed out so all their bids should have been cancelled and thus going down to my starting bid not my highest bid. Hence I didn't accept the offer.

[quote name='markytbass' post='139254' date='Feb 13 2008, 08:25 AM']It's also like the old 2nd chance offer, Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I bid on a Land Rover some years ago and was out bid. The winning bidder backed out. Now if memory serves me correct (which it doesn't always) the price droped down to the next highest bid, which was me. My argument was that the winner backed out so all their bids should have been cancelled and thus going down to my starting bid not my highest bid. Hence I didn't accept the offer.[/quote]

That would be the decent fair and honest thing to do - but remember who you're dealing with!

Hamster