Why become a member? ×

Recommend me noise cancelling headphones

razze06

I'm looking at getting me (and possibly my wife) some noise cancelling headphones. The main purpose is noise reduction in airplanes, as the hissy drone makes my work trip really irritating and tiring.

I can't afford to spend much (up to £100), and I don't know a lot about the subject anyway. Maybe someone can suggest some cheap and reasonable NC headphones?
My main concern is noise reduction, especially airplane drone, so sound quality is a bonus. I tend to prefer bulky over-ear headphones, but I'm not against in-ear ones.

I saw [url="http://www.lindy.co.uk/active-noise-cancelling-headphones/20425.html"]these[/url] online, any thoughts?

I bought a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones for business trips and they do a great job of reducing airplane noise. A bit pricey in the UK, though I bought mine in the USA many years ago for $149 with a free portable CD player thrown in. It also helped that I had a generous expenses account at the time. :)

The only problem I have with them is the argument over who wears them when we go on holiday - my wife always wins!

Thanks for the input, not sure what to do really.

Watched some comparative videos on the net, the sennheiser 350 seems to be ace, but they're dear!

I'll go to some shops today or tomorrow, and make a few comparisons for myself :)

These headphones are great in studio situations or just for listening to music in peace.

Sennheiser HD280 PRO

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000065BPB/ref=asc_df_B000065BPB2654840?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000065BPB"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000065BPB/ref=...ASIN=B000065BPB[/url]

I'd go for earbud types that will block the sound rather than the active phase-inversion systems. Earbuds are going to be a lot cheaper which means you'll not worry about damaging them as much, they're smaller so can be wrapped up and shoved in a pocket if in a rush and you'll find decent pairs everywhere (Clas Ohlsen, HMV, Argos).

If going for closed-back over-ear systems I'd be looking for fabric-covered cups rather than vinyl or plastic. After 2/3 hours of wearing closed-back-plastic-covered headphones, your ears and head could get sweaty and the plastic covering will quickly deteriorate (speaking from experience).

My brother got a pair of cheap neoprene earbuds recently (£30) and I got a pair of Sony rubber ones (£35). Both of us are very happy with our purchases and I've ended up using my expensive AKG closed-backs for studio work only.

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

Hi Razz

I'd check out the Sony MDR-7506's. They are 'closed' over-ear headphones and are fantastic. If you Google them you'll see many glowing reviews and they also fold down for easy storage. They can be picked up from Amazon for about £70.

Should be just what you're looking for if you don't want in-ear 'phones. There's also a review of them in Sound on Sound magazine (online) along with the next model up (MDR-7509's)

B

Thanks for all the replies

I like the idea of active noise cancelling earphones, possibly more for the geek factor in the design than the actual effectiveness of the implementation...

I've tried several pairs of earbuds, and the variability is staggering. I've found that the etymiotic christmas tree design is simply wrong for my ears, but their ball-shaped ones seems to be doing a great job of insulating from external sounds. I was also impressed with some shure earbuds ([url="http://www.shure.co.uk/products/earphones/se315"]these[/url]). Not quite so impressed with the pricetag though. You'd be annoyed if you forgot these on the plane...
Looks to me that almost all of it is down to the quality and design of the earbuds.

On the active cancelling side, the bose quiet comfort are truly impressive, but stupid expensive, and I just can't afford them. I'm aware that other makes are not as good, and you may end up spending £150 odd pounds for a pair of active noise cancelling earphones that don't cancel noise.

I'll have another look around this week, and in the airport of thursday, but i'm increasingly inclined to go down the "good earbud" route