Why become a member? ×

Best DI box for live use?

Wilco

As much as I've come to love my Hartke LH500, it's a pain that the built in DI out is pre effects & EQ. Stupidly there is no pre/post button & no separate line out jack on the amp. I use effects, so to save farting around micing up my cabs at gigs, I'm thinking of investing in a DI box.

To add to the set up confusion, my EHX Big Muff is plugged into the amp input & my other effects go through the effects loop. I'm thinking then that one of the amp outputs would have to go into the box input, there would have to be a through out to a cab, & then the XLR out to the pa. Would that work? If so, what would work best? I'm looking for a simple box that won't colour the sound.

Thanks,

Wilco

surely the di in the amp will work? on mine the post or pre switch only applies to the pre amp i think?

my di gets the full dirty signal from all my effects, have you tried the di on it to see what sound you get? distortion for me sounds better coming through a cab mic'd but i never get the chance at most of our gigs.

andy

most of the sound engineers I've worked with plug the bass directly into a DI box, then send the 'clean' signal to the desk. A feed comes from this into pedals / amp and that gets miked up. I use an MXR bass DI+, but that has an EQ circuit, and colours the sound, albeit really well.