Why become a member? ×

Combo/Small Amp Time

Bankai

I was previously (and until I find a new rig) using an Ashdown head with two cabs, yet I moved to uni a few months ago and now have something taking up a lot of room, and without a car, something difficult to take anywhere.

I'm after suggestions.

1. A small amp I can use for practicing and studio work. I'll then put my big rig away in storage where it doesn't get in the way and then only bring it out for live playing.

Alternatively

2. A smallish amp that I can use for everything. Compact enough to sit here, yet loud enough to be perfectly fine for live. In this eventuality I'd be able to sell my big rig so would have a bigger budget.

So I expect looking at about £100 for option 1 or £500 budget for option 2. I use Ashdown at the moment which sounds great, I really love the deep and warm tone, yet I really want something with a powerful rocky sound (with a good overdriven tone available as well), Ampeg and Marshall come to mind.

So, your suggestions? Good links? I'm definitely going second hand, and if you happen to be selling something that'd be good then feel free to treat this as a wanted thread as well. The orange terror, isobaric setups do look tasty. Not sure if they'd be the right sound for me? I don't know what tone they give.

Edited by Bankai

The Promethean gets a lot of love from those with one (or who's tried em also, I haven't).

Another option would be to get shot of those cabs & replace them with a decent 2x10 or 2x12 from the likes of Markbass, Bergantino, Schroeder etc & just keep your head & then when funds allow, replace your head.

Or... If you can stretch the extra £99, there's a Markbass 2x10 combo the same as mine (except it's newer) in the for sales. Brilliant combo that's plenty loud, but will it be small enough? :insure:

Have fun.