Why become a member? ×

Hives solo bit

bassmeg

Gig this number all the time, but never look forward to playing it. Always try to get as much out of the bass with my fingers but its hit and miss as to weather or not it sounds ok. Never sounds great.

I have a boss me-8b.

How can i get a good sound for this number?

Whenever i use the fuzz/distortions the bass drops out. I use the fuzz with the octaver for a muse number and it sounds great (D octave and higher) . But when played in the hives song which is open A it does not sound so good. Not that i am looking for the same sound, i just need to beef up the overdrive or something.

If i am looking at this from the wrong angle please help me out.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1198457' date='Apr 13 2011, 05:32 PM']What you're looking for is a distortion/overdrive with a blend function or one that retains low-end. Is there a blend function on your multi?[/quote]

Do you know what? I dont know. I use effects very little so dont really know my way around the board. I did have a sansamp bass driver which was ok, but not great. I was a enclined to say that maybe the only way to get the sound was through a full tube head.

I will have a look for a blend on my board, that would be a good starting point i guess. Maybe then i could just have an increase in that patches volume.

i didnt think much to the sansamp BD either. i reckon a vt bass pedal would pull it off, but without spending £100, just go for some kind of light overdrive, blend it with the original signal to keep a lot of bass still shining through. i havent heard the song in ages but i remember playing it for hours when i first started playing bass, awesome bassline and tone.

It's all about the OD you're using. You don't need an all valve head (I have a solid state and a hybrid head and both do very nice OD, though neither are cheap options) to get a good tone.

To be honest, you should look elsewhere than your M-8B for distortions, I've never found a distortion I really liked on a multi-FX for bass or guitar.

The Sansamp BDDI gets good reviews, or you could go for something like an MXR Blowtorch which has a blend control on it.

You don't need a pedal with a blend for that tone, just an amp-like overdrive with plenty of low end. Sansamp BDDI or VT, even the other character pedals will get you there. I think the Hives' bassist plays through a Hiwatt tube amp so perhaps try the Tech21 Leeds. Or get a tube amp!

Yeah, my GT200 nails that sound with a Precision and a pick, with the gain cranked up. So I guess something like the VT bass should do it well, from what I've heard. The sound is about the saturation, so if you get the right OD, you shouldn't need a blend, as dannybuoy says.

my band does this song, P bass with a pick with a bit of distortion from a Zoom 506II, but then I use that set up on all the songs :) the guitarist went to see the Hives and couldn't believe how bad the bass solo sounded, so distorted he couldn't make out any of the notes. So I say to anybody that's beating themselves up trying to get a certain sound, don't worry about it the band that recorded the song probably can't get it either :)