Why become a member? ×

Sorry - I need pickup advice...

Eight

Sometimes searching the forums is a bad idea. :) I read too much and now I'm completely confused.

I need/want to start using my CCB with a band I've just joined and will need a pickup. It's a rockabilly/country affair so I need to get that slap sound which I think means I need the separate fingerboard pickup. And a pre-amp if I'm to run it all into my Warwick head etc.

If I had loads of cash available, I'd probably just go for the K&K Rockabilly system (just because so many people seem to use it) but I can't really justify £200ish. I looked at the Schatten RB-2A but am having problems ordering one of those (long story).

Just wondering if anyone can help me work out what I need here.

Cheers guys.

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='1197952' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:32 AM']:) have a look at the playing your db loud thread for ideas - I'd go for a cheaper mag pickup and run the slaps through a mic - the slaps are very loud and easily picked up - cheap option anyway ...[/quote]

Don't some people use the ultra cheapo radioshack type piezzos for the clicky?

I think I remember someone posting on here about cheapy piezzos, but i can't seem to find it. Worth a look?

You would need to combine main pup and clicky though, so some type of two-channel mixer would be on the cards I guess.

Edited by fatback

You don't necessarily need a seperate clicky pickup either.
I know a rockabilly bass player who's been playing for 20 years + without one.
He uses a K&K bridge mounted pickup into a fishman platinum pre-amp and Ashdown stack.
The click is accentuated a little with eq on the fishman and band's PA system.
It's a slightly more subtle click than some rockabilly bands I've heard, but it's plenty IMO.
This is the route I'm going to try if / when I'm good enough to join a band.

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='1197952' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:32 AM']I'd go for a cheaper mag pickup and run the slaps through a mic - the slaps are very loud and easily picked up - cheap option anyway ...[/quote]
I'm scared of mics. Not just in case I fart/swear etc. :)

But it could be something to try. Cheers mate.

Farting and swearing are the two main things that make the gig enjoyable if you ask me :) I find that the click is so loud anyway that it gets picked up by the vocal mics let alone a dedicated one - in anything but large venues people hear it unamplified anyway

Hmm... after a lot more web searching etc. I was considering getting a K&K Big Twin + K&K Dual Channel Preamp. Comes in at a reasonable cost(ish) of around £150. And I think I could fairly easily add a K&K Hot Spot later on (for the slap signal).

Does this sound about right? I'm also wondering whether the K&K preamp works with those Shadow pickups instead. Arrrggghhh...

Edited by Eight

Yep K&K are good - but bear in mind that if you're doing rock and roll and your band plays anything like mine you'll need serious volume. With a piezo set up it means feedback - check your pre-amp has at least got a phase switch and don't expect LOUD volumes without a mag pickup

Good grief - this just gets more complicated, the more I learn.

Are mag pickups quite picky about the strings you use with them? I have no idea what's on there at the minute. They're metalish I think.

Edited by Eight

Hmm.. might be able to go one better here. But it involves asking a dumb question first. :)

I've had something like this sat on a shelf for over ten years (from when I bought an accoustic guitar which I never played).

That looks like a magnetic pick up to me, right?

Yep - you could test it with that - or actually just see if a fridge magnet will stick to your strings - you only need to check if they're steel or not

Agree with the no preamp needed (unless you want to) for mag pickups btw. There's a nice brand new schaller on the market place for sale that would fit the bill perfectly :)

Mag picups work on string sound alone; which is obviously affected by the acoustic properties of your bass so to my easr my DB with a mag pickup still sounds like a DB not an EB - because they work soley on the strings they're only affceted by feedback if the strings are made to vibrate- they are not affected by the bass body vibrating..

That said, piezo pickups work on pressure on the crystal to work and so pick up essentially the flex caused by the sound in the bridge or between the bridge and sound board - because they have this "relationship" with the soundboard/bridge they create a closer sound to the unamplified sound of the bass. However as they have this close relationship they are more susceptible to feedback as external sounds (like your amp) can make the soundboard shake as well as the strings....

So up to whatever you prefer really - a decent mag will give great results just as a decent piezo will....

Mag pickups work on string sound alone; which is obviously still affected by the acoustic properties of your bass so to my ears my DB with a mag pickup still sounds like a DB not an EB - because they work soley on the strings they're only affceted by feedback if the strings are made to vibrate- they are not affected by the bass body vibrating..

Piezo pickups work on pressure on the internal crystal to work and so pick up essentially the flex caused by the sound in the bridge or between the bridge and sound board - because they have this "relationship" with the soundboard/bridge they create a closer sound to the unamplified sound of the bass. However as they have this close relationship they are more susceptible to feedback as external sounds (like your amp) can make the soundboard shake as well as the strings....

So up to whatever you prefer really - a decent mag will give great results just as a decent piezo will....

Edited by bob_pickard

Opinions differ, as you can see.

In mine ....

Mag pick ups CAN sound good, but most often they sound like e-bass. You have to set up and EQ with care and skill.

With a piezo pick up it's easier to get a faithful sound, but they too can sound compressed. Proper pre-amp can help, if it's needed. Feedback can be a problem, but it can be avoided with care even at very loud volumes.

For rockabilly sound, authentic tone and click is easiest with piezo. The Underwood or Shadow single paddle wing piezo (is it 950?) are fabulous, and pick up plenty of click for most people. If you want very clear click or psychobilly clatter, you will find a separate clicky useful. K+K Bassmax or Rockabilly Plus (with attached clicky) are great pick ups. I've got a Rockabilly Plus going over in classifieds right now, but not the preamp/blender. You need a blender to set levels of each pick up (enter a whole world of tweaking and fiddling...)

If you are playing VERY loud, thrash/psycho loud, a mag pick up will be easier to use. You will definitely need a separate clicky to get a proper click sound. Nothing worse than the sound of steel strings hitting magnetic pick-ups.... pop pop pop.

My choice, for pretty loud R'nB with slapping all night long ... Underwood piezo. Plain and simple, easy, reasonable amount of click, faithful tone. Don't need preamp going in to my Markbass Amp ... though I use a Fishman Plat Pro because phase shift and EQ work well. Underwood is £130 new from Vivace, but occasionally crop up on ebay.

That said, I used K+K without any complaint for years.

If you are really new to amplifying DB for rockabilly, I'd keep it simple to start with. Learning how to EQ your bass is quite an art, having to deal with the confusion of a clicky is just adding to the complication. You'll have a laugh doing it, but you'll get better results quicker with a simple pick up.

Clicky pickup:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GT537-Acoustic-Guitar-Piezo-Transducer-Pickup-Kit-/300527402849?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f8d43f61"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GT537-Acoustic-Guita...=item45f8d43f61[/url]

They're self adhesive, but if you can apply pressure to them, the output increases MASSIVELY - so screw a plate down tightly over the top.

Then either a bridge piezo or mag pickup, wire toa stereo socket on the bass, then split out to seperate preamps.

I'm running exactly this setup with Gotoh P bass pickups on my EUB, and though I make no pretence about a natural DB sound, it's a sound I like, and it's certainly happy going LOUD!

Just a thought.

Well... the guitar pickup worked (ish). Enough to tell me that my double bass is horribly tuned. :) Think I'll give a mag a try - if it works, it certainly keeps things simple for me for now.

[quote name='bob_pickard' post='1199163' date='Apr 14 2011, 10:50 AM']There's a nice brand new schaller on the market place for sale that would fit the bill perfectly :)[/quote]
I saw that. :lol: PMing.

[quote name='fonzoooroo' post='1200256' date='Apr 15 2011, 08:46 AM']Clicky pickup:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GT537-Acoustic-Guitar-Piezo-Transducer-Pickup-Kit-/300527402849?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f8d43f61"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GT537-Acoustic-Guita...=item45f8d43f61[/url][/quote]
Wow, that's cheap. :) I like cheap.

Cheers Fonz.