Why become a member? ×

Fullerton '57 p reissue made in 1982

Mr Fudge

First of all I'm sorry if this is not the exact forum. Perhaps I should have done the e-bay one, but I am not buying or selling, if you know what I mean. I am a proud owner of a '90's jazz. With my 40th approaching I have promised myself a vintage fender bass. As I already have a great jazz ( and I have lusted after wateroftyne's beautiful jazz on here ) Im looking at a vintage p. Also thanks to The Beedster has supplied me with some excellent advice. However this fullerton looks a cracker. What would you do? 70's vintage or 80's renowned custom shop !!! I'm not in a hurry (I've got until November) but I don't think these things come along very often.

I'm not into antiques and at the end the day it is something I want to play every week not just look at.

cheers

[quote name='BB2000' post='136961' date='Feb 9 2008, 02:26 AM']Personally I wouldn't call an 82 vintage - I've underpants older than that. If the OP is a player who doesn't look upon the instrument as an investment, he won't find a better handling in their current range than the 50's classic (assuming he likes wide shallow necks).[/quote]

I understood that when an instrument reached 25 yrs old it was then regarded as vintage. I may be wrong.
Also, whilst not the owner of a Fullerton reissue I do have an 83 Standard P bass. It is in all original unmarked condition and is absolutely marvellous. A Mex 50s classic would have to be very very good before I used one instead my 83.

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a late '82 Fullerton '57 reissue and it's pretty much the best Precision I've played. It is certainly significantly lighter and far better constructed than any other Fender I have owned (and that iuncludes current Custom Shop), but most importantly, it plays and sounds incredible; the sustain and resonance are pretty incredible for a Precision and the neck, despite being 1.75 width, is extremely fast. As has been hinted at above, I'd be surprised if a contemporary MIM could get anywhere near it. However, I'm not saying they don't, so I guess it's the old truism, try before you buy.

Irrespective of the "80's aren't vintage" argument, Fullerton reissues are highly sought after and are appreciating rapidly (and will soon be vintage by whatever definition). In fact I saw one for sale a few weeks back in a US dealership for over $5000. Problem, investment basses don't make good players - it's hard to enjoy a gig if you're worried about dinging your paintwork.

Having said all that, if you wanted my advice Mr Fudge, I'd say get a Fullerton :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='170559' date='Apr 6 2008, 08:37 AM']I've just bought a late '82 Fullerton '57 reissue and it's pretty much the best Precision I've played. It is certainly significantly lighter and far better constructed than any other Fender I have owned (and that iuncludes current Custom Shop), but most importantly, it plays and sounds incredible; the sustain and resonance are pretty incredible for a Precision and the neck, despite being 1.75 width, is extremely fast. As has been hinted at above, I'd be surprised if a contemporary MIM could get anywhere near it. However, I'm not saying they don't, so I guess it's the old truism, try before you buy.

Irrespective of the "80's aren't vintage" argument, Fullerton reissues are highly sought after and are appreciating rapidly (and will soon be vintage by whatever definition). In fact I saw one for sale a few weeks back in a US dealership for over $5000. Problem, investment basses don't make good players - it's hard to enjoy a gig if you're worried about dinging your paintwork.

Having said all that, if you wanted my advice Mr Fudge, I'd say get a Fullerton :)
Chris[/quote]

I had a cracking 62 P Fullerton from 82 - hell of a bass, feather light and great to play. I also had a 1958 Limited Edition Custom Shop P I'd say the build, and overall "quality" of the instrument was similar. I agree with Chris, hunt out a fullerton !