Why become a member? ×

Playing live (mainly in Leeds)

DaveMal

In a room that small you probably don't need anything other than the vocals coming through the PA, and it's probably more a case of it being unnecessary and soundmen not bothering rather than a policy against DI'ing basses.

I have played in plenty of Leeds venues, some have decided to DI my bass, some haven't. As long as it sounds decent out front I don't really care if it gets DI'd.

Don't know the venues you're referring to, but done plenty of small clubs on the unsigned toilet circuit where the PA is just used for the essentials and bass has been run off backline - nothing unusual about that! All depends on the size of the room and the spec of the PA system really.

It's been a few years since I have played the Fenton, but I don't recall ever being DId at all - mind you my backline then was a 600w head and a 4x10, so it probably wasn't necessary in that room. If I used a smaller combo they probably would have done.
It's a giggle, that place - you have to get your gear up a rickety fire escape at the back. And it tends to rain when we play there. :)