Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Took my bass to see a luthier today

I've always thought it sounded a bit tight and choked, and I thought there was some problems with the fingerboard and the soundpost could do with an adjustment, so I took it to a geezer today expecting to be without it for a week and to get a big bill when it was all fettled. So I was quite chuffed when he spent half an hour moving the bridge, improved the sound about 100x and charged me a tenner!

I'd been really struggling with intonation on the E and A in low positions but it was because it was so boomy. Now the tone is really even across the strings, more sustain from the E and A, I can hear the note much clearer, it's a joy to play by comparison. Very chuffed. :)

Result!!!!! As a noob I must have gone about 4 years playing with the most hideous, demoralising action before I went to a luthier. I always put it out because I thought it would be insanely expensive. Thankfully it wasn't, but even if it had been it would have been worth it to have an instrument that was a joy to play and not a struggle.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1194409' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:09 AM']FTR I took it to Chapel Allerton Stringed Instruments - Jan is a really nice guy and knows his onions. Lots of locals have recommended him and I can see why.[/quote]
+1

Jan's the man

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1194313' date='Apr 10 2011, 09:15 AM']Result!!!!! As a noob I must have gone about 4 years playing with the most hideous, demoralising action before I went to a luthier. I always put it out because I thought it would be insanely expensive. Thankfully it wasn't, but even if it had been it would have been worth it to have an instrument that was a joy to play and not a struggle.[/quote]

Out of interest Gareth, have you ever taken your Eminence to a luthier for a set up? Do semi acoustic EUBs befefit as much from a professional seeing to as proper DBs?

I'm quite used to the set up on my Eminence but I do wonder if it would benefit from a proper set up. I din't have a huge ammount of experience with a DB before I got the Eminence so it could be playing like a sack of sh!te and I'd never know.