Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker/Faker pickup issue

steviedee

[quote name='steviedee' post='1188970' date='Apr 5 2011, 01:26 PM']Hi I dunno if anyone has the issue but its driving me nuts on the bridge pickup of my faker is angled forward if I loosen off the screws it eases out and straightens but then the screws don't sit flush![/quote]

Bung in slightly longer/stronger springs, or add washers between the spring and the frame to firm up the existing ones.

[quote name='steviedee' post='1188970' date='Apr 5 2011, 01:26 PM']Hi I dunno if anyone has the issue but its driving me nuts on the bridge pickup of my faker is angled forward if I loosen off the screws it eases out and straightens but then the screws don't sit flush![/quote]

I've got the same issue on a humbucker I had put in my Tele. It's caused by the cavity in the body not lining up exactly with the pickup body, so when you tighten the screws the pickup levers against the side of the cavity. Or at least that's what it is in my case. I've not done anything with it cos it doesn't bother me that much.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1188979' date='Apr 5 2011, 01:33 PM']Buy a real Ric then.

:)

Seriously though, sounds like you need to fill then re-drill the screw holes more perpendicular but you could try putting foam/sponge under the side that dips first to see if that helps.[/quote]
Rick (& Faker) neck pups dangle on 2 screws from a big tin surround - I'd guess it's to do with how the springs are compressing, presumably at an angle, so I'd mess around with trying different size springs, or maybe softer ones.

A block of foam at the bottom of the pup route might well work, though.

Jon.

[quote name='steviedee' post='1189050' date='Apr 5 2011, 02:35 PM']Stu are you suggesting I should just forget it and get on with my life?[/quote]
Absolutely not at all, it's one of the things that I plan on getting a round tuit for. I know how annoying it can be when things aren't quite right, & it's usually after you've put the strings on & tuned it up so it's a sod to take apart to try to fix it again.
+ depending on how bad a squint it is it could well affect the signal from a single-coil pup, mine's a bucker :)