Why become a member? ×

Paint and Finish

Ben Jamin

Hi!
I'm in the process of putting together a bass at the moment - I've got all the hardware, the only problem is the neck and the body are completely unfinished. The neck's maple with a rosewood board. The body's basswood and needs to be painted. I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on what kind of lacquer/paint I should be using? Links to places I can buy them from would be ace too, if possible :)
Looking for a matte butterscotch paint for the body, if that helps? :)

Hi,

[url="http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/products/wood-finishes/lacquers/nitrocellulose-lacquer-sprays.htm"]http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/produc...quer-sprays.htm[/url]
try that out. you can actually use car spray paint and laquer. You'll need to buy cans of spray paint unless you have the equipment and room to spray. The good thing about car paint is that you can get loads of colours and its quiet cheap.
You could also try taking the bass to a car spay workshop and they might be able to to do it for you.
Any other questions just ask.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1187390' date='Apr 4 2011, 08:46 AM']Hi!
I'm in the process of putting together a bass at the moment - I've got all the hardware, the only problem is the neck and the body are completely unfinished. The neck's maple with a rosewood board. The body's basswood and needs to be painted. I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on what kind of lacquer/paint I should be using? Links to places I can buy them from would be ace too, if possible :lol:
Looking for a matte butterscotch paint for the body, if that helps? :)[/quote]
pm me an email address and i`ll send you some information.....same applies to anyone else :)

[quote name='dougie' post='1191757' date='Apr 7 2011, 02:20 PM']pm me an email address and i`ll send you 2 excellent guitar refinishing books in pdf format.....same applies to anyone else :)[/quote]

PM sent.
Matt