Why become a member? ×

Is my finger picking technique.. odd?

DeeBassist

First of all, I rest my thumb on the neck pickup, whereas I see a crap-load of players rest on the/near the bridge pickup.

Then, my thumb hardly ever drops down from the pickup, even if I'm playing on the G.
If I do drop my thumb, I only got to the E, no lower, and I then start playing the E with my thumb, and the other 3 strings with my fingers, like a classical guitar picking technique.

Would you consider this weird? xD

Edited by DeeBassist

[quote name='DeeBassist' post='1185597' date='Apr 2 2011, 09:59 AM']First of all, I rest my thumb on the neck pickup, whereas I see a crap-load of players rest on the/near the bridge pickup.

Then, my thumb hardly ever drops down from the pickup, even if I'm playing on the G.
If I do drop my thumb, I only got to the E, no lower, and I then start playing the E with my thumb, and the other 3 strings with my fingers, like a classical guitar picking technique.

Would you consider this weird? xD[/quote]

I consider playing with scissors a weird technique!!

If you play like that and it works then who cares where your thumb is. We all play different so who cares.

re which pick up to rest on, it really doesn't matter, whatever sound / comfort mix you are happy with

re not moving your thumb down strings, personally I don't always, or perhaps only as far as E to reach D and G strings, although I can do if I choose

I can play anything cover wise like this, unless it involves a lot 16ths, so for me its not a problem

But, you may find a real technique teacher might suggest that it may limit you in the future, I really don't know

If your concerned about technique, then Id suggest seeing Jakesbass if you can get to him, its worth a one off lesson, just to assess yourself, you can then choose to stick as you are or take the hints

Edited by lojo

I'm not sure that playing the string with your thumb is the best idea, but if you're keeping an even volume and not struggling, it's not specifically a bad thing.

As for which pickup you're resting your thumb on, it really doesn't matter. You'll get a slightly different tone out of moving your hand back and forth, so decide based on that and comfort.

Do much the same.
Whatever feels comfortable for a particular song.

Think you'll find Geddy Lee and Jack Bruce use a similar style depending on what mood or song they are playing.
Geddy Lee also uses a floating hand technique on occasion whereby he doesn't rest his thumb at all.

If it suits and it works use it.

Cheers
Dave
:)

I have a book in front of me that says that "when playing with fingers, only the index and middle finger should be used and never the thumb" nawww bless!! Well, that's Victor Wootten, Billy Sheehan, Larry Graham, Steve Harris, Stuart Hamm and a few million other Bass Players laughing!

As has already been mentioned, it's not traditionally considered 'the proper way' to play, but if it works for you and it's not causing you any difficulties then don't worry. For what it's worth, I use a floating thumb style of playing that I've used since before knowing I should be anchoring my thumb, and it doesn't cause me trouble so I've no intention of 'correcting' it - though I'm glad to be able to say 'well, Geddy Lee does something similar'.

if it works don't knock it....

....I race enduro's and some of the techniques I use would make another racer shudder, but I do OK.....my mate has the most aweful golf swing, more like a cricket swing, but plays off a 4 handicap...

bass....my thumb wanders down from E down to D to stop the open strings ringing whenever possble, I don't even think about it now....it feels very 'natural'

Edited by iconic